Help Picking Out PNP Transistor for 0-5V Load Control

• Thread starter lennybogzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary: All's good now.In summary, the OP is trying to set up a PNP switch that looks like the attached file, but the only way he can have the load be completely off is if his "chip output" is >>5V, only if it's = to Vs. He is using a 2N5400 transistor and it's not doing the trick, so he needs a relay. The NPN level shifter amplifies the chip output to the level needed by the PNP, so the circuit should work. However, he may have to tweak some of the values.
lennybogzy
Hi, I'm trying to set up a PNP switch that looks like the attached file. However, the only way I can have the load be completely off is if my 'chip output' is >>5v, only if it's = to Vs.

I'm new to this, help would be appreciated.

What should I look for when picking out a transistor so that I can control my load with 0-5V?

Currently I'm using a 2N5400 and it's not doing the trick...

I didnt want to do the relay because all I really need is 28V @ 300mA. A low-side switch is out of the question due to the specifics of my application.

Attachments

• PNPtran.JPG
    PNPtran.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the chip's output voltage when the transistor is supposed to be off?

5V is all I have to play with. I need 5V to control 28V

1 Are you saying the emitter of the transistor is at 28 V?

2 Is it possible to invert your logic, turning on the transistor when the chip's output is high instead of low?

skeptic2 said:
1 Are you saying the emitter of the transistor is at 28 V?

2 Is it possible to invert your logic, turning on the transistor when the chip's output is high instead of low?

1 - yes, the emitter is at 28V. The base is at 5V.

2 - Unfortunately not, because of the specifics of my application. I can make it work that way, with an NPN transistor instead of a PNP, however because of what my switch looks like I can't "switch ground" in the full application. I can get it to work for one switch, but not for all 3. That's why I want a "high side switch" versus the "low side switch" you're implying.

In summary, with an NPN I can get my 5V to "control" my 28V no problem. With the PNP, no dice. Looks like I need a relay.

Attached is a circuit that should work although some of the values may have to be tweaked. Also I did not optimize the values.

The NPN is a level shifter that amplifies the output voltage of the chip to the level needed by the PNP. The two circuits show the voltages for both high and low output voltages of the chip.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Actuator.doc
    48 KB · Views: 220
skeptic2 said:
Attached is a circuit that should work although some of the values may have to be tweaked. Also I did not optimize the values.

The NPN is a level shifter that amplifies the output voltage of the chip to the level needed by the PNP. The two circuits show the voltages for both high and low output voltages of the chip.

I hope this helps.

This is really cool because I can build it in house, without ordering more hardware. Thanks a lot for the CKT I'm going to go give this a shot.

skeptic2 said:

I hope this helps.

Nice circuit, skeptic. Why did you show an inductor in the load, though? Was it left over from a previous application, or did the OP say that there is a inductor in his load (I could have missed it)?

The reason I ask is because it looks at first glance like there could be an inductive kick-back (down) issue potentially at turn-off. Did you simulate what the transient looks like?

EDIT -- Oh, I now see an implied protection diode in the OP figure. Sorry I missed that earlier.

I saw the relay in the diagram but the OP never mentioned he was using the circuit with a relay. Originally I just had the resistor but then I wondered if he was planning to use it with a relay, he might be confused with just a resistor. I probably should have added the diode even though the transistor he's using is a high voltage one.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/fairchild/2N5400.pdf

Ah, got it. I saw the 40V 2907 in your simulation circuit, and missed the higher voltage 5400 in the OP. :blushing:

Related to Help Picking Out PNP Transistor for 0-5V Load Control

1. What is the purpose of a PNP transistor in load control?

A PNP transistor is used in load control to switch a load on or off based on the voltage level at its base. It acts as a switch, allowing current to flow through the load when the base voltage is low and cutting off the current when the base voltage is high.

2. How do I determine the appropriate PNP transistor for a 0-5V load control?

The key factors to consider when selecting a PNP transistor for a 0-5V load control are the load voltage and current requirements, as well as the transistor's maximum voltage and current ratings. It is important to choose a transistor with a voltage and current rating that is higher than the load's requirements to ensure safe and efficient operation.

3. Can any PNP transistor be used for 0-5V load control?

No, not all PNP transistors are suitable for 0-5V load control. It is important to choose a transistor with a low VBE (voltage between base and emitter) to ensure proper switching at lower voltages. Additionally, the transistor must have a high gain (hFE) to effectively amplify the small voltage at the base to control the larger load voltage.

4. How do I calculate the required base resistance for a 0-5V load control circuit?

The base resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, where RB = (VIN - VBE) / IB. VIN is the input voltage (5V), VBE is the base-emitter voltage (typically 0.7V for a PNP transistor), and IB is the desired base current (determined by the load current and transistor's gain).

5. Are there any special considerations when using a PNP transistor for high-current load control?

Yes, when using a PNP transistor for high-current load control, it is important to use a heat sink to dissipate the excess heat generated by the transistor. It is also important to choose a transistor with a higher current rating to ensure safe and efficient operation.