Help please -- Free body diagram for a weightlifter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the free body diagram of a weightlifter standing up from a squatting position while holding a heavy barbell. The individual attempted to draw the diagram with the normal force and force of gravity in opposite directions with equal magnitude, but the force by the barbell was incorrect. They are unsure of how to fix this and are questioning if the net force is zero.
jujuju

Homework Statement

A weightlifter stands up at constant speed from a squatting position while holding a heavy barbell across his shoulders. Draw the free body diagram of the lifer using Fg, normal force, and force by barbell

Homework Equations

Fnet=0 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing the normal force up and the force of gravity down with equal magnitude with each other. I also placed the force by barbell the same direction as the force of gravity with less magnitude than the force of gravity of the lifter. It says it is wrong. What am I doing wrong? I am pretty sure the force by barbell vector is not correct but i do not know how to fix it

Physics news on Phys.org
jujuju said:
I tried drawing the normal force up and the force of gravity down with equal magnitude with each other. I also placed the force by barbell the same direction as the force of gravity with less magnitude than the force of gravity of the lifter. It says it is wrong. What am I doing wrong? I am pretty sure the force by barbell vector is not correct but i do not know how to fix it
What is the net force on the lifter, according to your diagram? Is it zero? Sounds like it is not.

Likes berkeman and jujuju

FAQ: Help please -- Free body diagram for a weightlifter?

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the motion and equilibrium of the object.

2. Why is a free body diagram important for a weightlifter?

A free body diagram is important for a weightlifter because it helps them understand the forces acting on their body while lifting weights. This allows them to adjust their technique and posture to prevent injuries and improve their performance.

3. What are the different types of forces shown in a free body diagram for a weightlifter?

The different types of forces shown in a free body diagram for a weightlifter include the weight of the lifter, the normal force from the ground, the force of gravity, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How do you draw a free body diagram for a weightlifter?

To draw a free body diagram for a weightlifter, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the lifter. Then, draw a dot to represent the weightlifter and draw arrows to represent each force, labeling them with their corresponding values and directions.

5. What can a weightlifter learn from analyzing a free body diagram?

A weightlifter can learn about their posture, technique, and how to distribute their weight properly by analyzing a free body diagram. They can also identify any imbalances or weak areas in their body that may be affecting their performance.