Help providing function examples

In summary: The function ##f(x) = 1/x## is not bounded on ##(0,1)## because there is no number ##U## such that ##f(x) \le U## for all ##x \in (0,1)##. This is clearly explained in any introductory calculus book. You might want to review the discussion of "limits" in your book. The expression "## \lim_{x \to 0} 1/x = \infty ##" is a way to express the fact that the function ##f(x) = 1/x## is not bounded on any interval containing the origin. In brief, "bounded" means the function does not get "too big
doktorwho

Homework Statement

Functions.JPG

This is one test question we had today and it asks as to provide examples of functions and intervals. Some may be untrue so we had to identify it. The test isn't graded yet so these are my question answers. Hopefully you'll correct me where necessary and provide a true example.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
a) ##f(x)=x, (-1,1)##
b) ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}, (0,1)## i had trouble with this and i gave this example.
c) ##f(x)=x, (-1,1)## this example from a) should cover this as well, right?
d) NOT POSSIBLE since it is not defined in some point it can't be differentiable there right?
e) ##f(x)=|x|, (-1,1)##
f) NOT POSSIBLE I just couldn't find an example..
Could me provide feedback on each of these? It would be of massive help, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi doktorwho:
I would suggest another look at (b) and (f).
My issue with (b) is a nit. I am not sure of the interval notation with "(" and ")". Is "0" in the interval or not? One way to avoid any ambiguity is to use the interval (-1,1).
My issue with (f) is also whether an ambiguity exists regarding "differentiable". Is f(x) differentiable if the derivative is unbounded? If not, your answer is correct. If f(x) can be differentiable with an unbounded derivative, then give your (b) example another look.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
My issue with (b) is a nit. I am not sure of the interval notation with "(" and ")". Is "0" in the interval or not?
Interval notation using parentheses and brackets is pretty standard, although not universal. (0, 1) is the open interval from 0 to 1 with endpoints not included. [0, 1) is the half-open interval with 0 included. [-1, 1] is the closed interval from -1 to 1, with both endpoints included.

I have seen other notation used, with ]0, 1] being equivalent to ##\{x | 0 < x \le 1\}##.

(Personally, I find this last notation with the reversed bracket ugly, but that's just my opinion.)

doktorwho said:
This is one test question we had today and it asks as to provide examples of functions and intervals.

How do your course materials define "interval" ?

You used "open intervals" in your answer. There are other kinds of intervals.

The more customary terminology is to say a function is "bounded" instead of saying it is "limited".

doktorwho said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 112251
This is one test question we had today and it asks as to provide examples of functions and intervals. Some may be untrue so we had to identify it. The test isn't graded yet so these are my question answers. Hopefully you'll correct me where necessary and provide a true example.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
a) ##f(x)=x, (-1,1)##
b) ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}, (0,1)## i had trouble with this and i gave this example.
c) ##f(x)=x, (-1,1)## this example from a) should cover this as well, right?
d) NOT POSSIBLE since it is not defined in some point it can't be differentiable there right?
e) ##f(x)=|x|, (-1,1)##
f) NOT POSSIBLE I just couldn't find an example..
Could me provide feedback on each of these? It would be of massive help, thanks :)

About (f): isn't the example in (b) differentiable but not limited on (0,1)?

Stephen Tashi said:
How do your course materials define "interval" ?

You used "open intervals" in your answer. There are other kinds of intervals.

The more customary terminology is to say a function is "bounded" instead of saying it is "limited".

Ray Vickson said:
About (f): isn't the example in (b) differentiable but not limited on (0,1)?
I used limited as i didnt know the correct term but it is equivalent to bounded. Its translated from another language.
When i thought about the f) i guess that it is not differentiable at x=0 so that can't be the example. I don't exactly understand the bounded term. For example b) continuous but not bounded. I understand continuous but what exactly does bounded mean?
One of the answers said 1/x on (-1,1) but shouldn't the function be in that interval?
Like, when i said (0,1) i said that because the fenction never goes to 0 so its bounded by that. You see my comprehension problem, could tou bring this to me a little closer by a few simple examples and explanations?

doktorwho said:
When i thought about the f) i guess that it is not differentiable at x=0 so that can't be the example.

Which can't be the example?

The point x = 0 is not a element of the open interval (0,1). The point x = 0 is an element of the closed interval [0,1]. I assume you are permitted the use open intervals (which you did) in all your answers. The funtion f(x) = 1/x is not bounded on (0,1). The fact f is not differentiable at x = 0 is not relevant to whether it is differentiable "in" the interval (0,1) because x= 0 is not in that interval.

If you were required to use closed intervals in your answers, then the answer to f) would be "not possible".
I don't exactly understand the bounded term.
"The function ##f## is bounded on the set ##S##" means there exists numbers ##L## and ##U## such that for each ## x \in S ## , ## L \le f(x) \le U##. ##\ L## is called a "lower bound" and ##U## is called an "upper bound".

There is a distinction between a "bound" and "maximum" or "minimum". A function has a "minimum" on ##S## when it has a lower bound ##L## and actually attains that value at some point in ##S##. Similary, a function has a "maximum" if it has an upper bound on ##S## and actually attains that value at some some point in ##S##.

For example, one possible upper bound of ##f(x) = x## on ##S = (0,1)## is 500. The "least upper bound" of ##f## on ##S## is 1. The value 1 is not the "maximum" of ##f## on ##(0,1)## because ##f(x)## does not attain the value ##1## for any ##x## in ##(0,1)##. (Remember that ##x = 1## is not an element of the open interval ##(0,1)##. )

Likes doktorwho

Related to Help providing function examples

1. What is a function example and why is it important?

A function example is a specific instance of a function, which is a self-contained block of code that performs a specific task. It is important because it allows us to see how a function works and how it can be used in different scenarios.

2. How do I provide a function example?

To provide a function example, you can write a block of code that includes the function and its inputs, and then show the output that the function produces. You can also explain the purpose and use case of the function in your example.

3. Can you give an example of a function that calculates a simple math operation?

Yes, here is an example of a function named "addNumbers" that takes two numbers as inputs and returns their sum:

function addNumbers(num1, num2) {  return num1 + num2;}console.log(addNumbers(5, 10));// Output: 15

4. Why is it important to include comments in function examples?

Comments in function examples provide important information and context for the code. They explain the purpose and logic of the code, making it easier for others to understand and use the function in their own projects.

5. How can function examples be used to improve my coding skills?

Studying and analyzing function examples can help improve your coding skills by giving you a better understanding of how functions work, how to write efficient and reusable code, and how to apply different techniques and approaches to solve problems.