Help rearranging a formula to solve for different variables

In summary, Homework Equations state that T2=Q:mc-T1. However, the equation for T1 is incorrect. The attempt at a solution is to find T1 alone using a simple math trick and then replace w with Q:mc to get T2-Q:mc=T1.
Noah159

Homework Statement

[/B]
I just got this formula from class : Q=mc(T2-T1) and got task to make 2 more formulas from this one

Homework Equations

How do I make these formulas : T1=? and T2=?

The Attempt at a Solution

T2=Q:mc-T1
T1=-T1
T1=Q:mc+T2
Thanks for help

Physics news on Phys.org
Noah159 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
I just got this formula from class : Q=mc(T2-T1) and got task to make 2 more formulas from this one

Homework Equations

How do I make these formulas : T1=? and T2=?

The Attempt at a Solution

T1=-T1
T1=Q:mc+T2
Thanks for help
Welcome to the PF.

The equations look okay (see kuruman's post below) except for the bolded part. What do you mean by that equation?

Last edited:
Note that I changed the thread title to: "Help rearranging a formula to solve for different variables".

I think this will make it a bit more clear what the thread is about.

Likes berkeman
Noah159 said:
This equation is also problematic. Starting with your equation Q=mc(T2-T1), it looks like you first divided both sides by mc. That is good. What expression did you get? And once you got that expression, what did you do to it to get T2=Q:mc-T1 ?

I got Delta T=Q:mc

Delta T=T2-T1 so formula is T2-T1=Q:mc and I just used simple math trick that if you change sides, it just changes from + to - and - to + e.g x=+4 meaning x-4=0

So from T2-T1=Q:mc formula I got these two:
T1=Q:mc-T2
T2=Q:mc+T1

You got the equation for T2 correct this time, but the equation for T1 is incorrect. Starting with T2-T1=Q:mc what do you get, using your simple math trick, when you move T1 to the left side and Q:mc to the right side?

T2-T1=Q:mc
T2=Q:mc+T1
T2:Q*mc=T1
T1=T2:Q*mc
Did I get it right this time?

Sorry, no.

T2=Q:mc+T1 is correct. You want to have Q:mc on the other side. What does your simple math trick say you should do to achieve this goal? You said it yourself
Noah159 said:
it just changes from + to - and - to +
So ...

T2-T1=Q:mc

I can't just move Q:mc freely becouse of division between Q and mc and because of multiplication between m and c.
E.g ρ=m:V
Makes m=ρV
So I can't use my math trick
Sorry if I got your question wrong

Noah159 said:
I can't just move Q:mc freely becouse of division between Q and mc and because of multiplication between m and c.
Yes you can. Here is how and why. Let w = Q:mc. Then your equation becomes T2-T1 = w. Now move things around to get T1 alone on one side. Finally, replace w with what it is the same as, namely Q:mc. This is how algebra works!

+T2-T1=+w
+T2=+T1+w
+T2-w=+T1
T2-Q:mc=T1
I hope i got it right this time, did I?

You did, and I hope you learned something from this experience. :smile:

Thanks for your help. I definitely learned a lot.

FAQ: Help rearranging a formula to solve for different variables

1. How do I rearrange a formula to solve for a different variable?

To rearrange a formula, you need to use algebraic manipulation. This involves isolating the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation by moving all other terms to the other side. You can do this by using inverse operations, such as adding or subtracting, multiplying or dividing both sides by the same number.

2. What is the first step in rearranging a formula?

The first step is to identify the variable you want to solve for. This will be the variable that is not currently isolated on one side of the equation. Once you have identified this variable, you can start manipulating the equation to isolate it.

3. Can I rearrange a formula by just switching the positions of the variables?

No, simply switching the positions of variables will not give you the correct solution. You need to use algebraic manipulation to properly rearrange the formula.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for rearranging formulas?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when rearranging formulas. You should always start by isolating the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation, and keep the equation balanced by performing the same operation on both sides. Also, be careful when dealing with fractions or negative numbers, as these can sometimes complicate the process.

5. Can I use the same method to rearrange any type of formula?

Yes, the same method of algebraic manipulation can be used to rearrange any type of formula, as long as the equation is balanced and follows the rules of algebra. However, some formulas may be more complex and require more steps to solve for the desired variable.