Help Requested: Reverse Engineering PCB Layout to Circuit Design

In summary, Dave has been working on a charge controller circuit layout and is having difficulty completing the schematic. Dave has been working on this project for 10 years and may never be able to complete it.
lostmind
Dear All

I have been recently started to work with Reverse Engineering technology and I would now like to determine a circuit layout diagram of a charge controller from its PCB Layout.

Can anyone please help me with this one. I have uploaded the PCB design for your reference.

Please note that this is purely a hobby project and I highly discourage commercial personalities business advice.

Thanking you all in advance

Attachments

• Solar charger.png
    Solar charger.png
    14 KB · Views: 645
Engineering news on Phys.org
you just have to start somewhere at a point and start drawing out the components as a schematic. once everything is drawn out, and checked to make sure you haven't missed any interconnections then you can work on tidying up the schematic into something that looks easy to follow

I have done this so often over the years on substantially more complex ccts than that one of yours

Initially I will draw it out on paper and once I have a reasonable looking layout I will then use MSpaint ( paintbrush) to do the final drawing like you see below so I can store it on the puter for future reference

eg...

attachment.php?attachmentid=51094&stc=1&d=1348309705.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=51093&stc=1&d=1348309710.gif

The first image the actual unit

the second image, a reasonable schematic

This board was particularly difficult as it was double layer
cheers
Dave

Attachments

• 24GHz TX Brd.gif
    24GHz TX Brd.gif
    63.7 KB · Views: 794
  • 24GHz TX Brd.jpg
    24GHz TX Brd.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 746
Last edited:
Its been one of those 10 year projects to put this unit onto the 24GHz amateur radio band, It may never happen as other ex commercial gear became available that was much easier to convert

here's another example I did some years back...

attachment.php?attachmentid=51095&stc=1&d=1348310345.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=51096&stc=1&d=1348310345.gif

its takes some serious concentration magnifier lamp good backlight
but its often worth the effort

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Microwave Radio Corp IF Amp-AGC1c.jpg
    Microwave Radio Corp IF Amp-AGC1c.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 739
  • Microwave Radio Corp IF Amp-AGC.gif
    Microwave Radio Corp IF Amp-AGC.gif
    42.2 KB · Views: 716
Dear Davenn thank you a lot for your replies...I am working on the circuit schematic...since this is my first one so I am a little bit confused...i made an initial draft last night and want to confirm whether it is correct or not...can you suggest me any ways to perform that ?

thanking you again

post a pic of the layout on here once you have tidied it up, and if I have time or some one else may get a chance to compare it with the PCb layout you gave above :)

Dave

Lostmind, Do you have the actual CAD of the layout or just the image? Can the CAD tool just print a connection report on all the nets and a BOM? Should be fairly straight forward to reconstruct a schematic from that information.

davenn said:
Its been one of those 10 year projects to put this unit onto the 24GHz amateur radio band, It may never happen as other ex commercial gear became available that was much easier to convert

here's another example I did some years back...

its takes some serious concentration magnifier lamp good backlight
but its often worth the effort

cheers
Dave

You have 'true grit' Dave. I'm very impressed! Much worse than the Guardian Crossword.

Yes, beautiful work Dave! :smile:

sophiecentaur said:
You have 'true grit' Dave. I'm very impressed! Much worse than the Guardian Crossword.

berkeman said:
Yes, beautiful work Dave! :smile:

Nice indeed. I'm thinking the paint work was the hardest. :devil:

Related to Help Requested: Reverse Engineering PCB Layout to Circuit Design

1. What is reverse engineering?

Reverse engineering is the process of analyzing a product or system to understand how it works and how it was designed. In the context of PCB layout to circuit design, it involves taking an existing PCB layout and using it to create a schematic diagram and circuit design.

2. Why is reverse engineering necessary for PCB layout to circuit design?

Reverse engineering is necessary because PCB layouts do not always come with accompanying schematics or circuit designs. By reverse engineering the PCB layout, engineers can understand the circuit's functionality and make modifications or improvements.

3. What are the steps involved in reverse engineering a PCB layout?

The first step is to carefully study the PCB layout and identify all of the components and their connections. Next, a schematic diagram is created, either by hand or using specialized software. Then, the circuit design is created based on the schematic. Finally, the circuit design is tested and refined if necessary.

4. What are the benefits of reverse engineering a PCB layout?

Reverse engineering a PCB layout allows engineers to understand the circuit's functionality and make modifications or improvements. It also helps in troubleshooting and debugging issues with the circuit design. Additionally, it can save time and resources by not having to start the design process from scratch.

5. Are there any limitations to reverse engineering a PCB layout?

Yes, there are limitations to reverse engineering a PCB layout. It can be a time-consuming process, especially if the PCB layout is complex. Additionally, some components may be difficult to identify or may not have available datasheets, making it challenging to accurately recreate the circuit design. It also requires a high level of technical expertise and knowledge of circuit design principles.

Back