Help (required force to move a sliding door weighing 100 kg with two rollers)

In summary: I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty finding information on how to calculate rolling friction. There's no such thing as "rolling friction", since a pair of rolling surfaces don't move with respect to each other.There's rolling resistance, which is essentially energy lost due to deformation of the wheel, but I shouldn't think three's much of that with steel.The main problem will be friction between the wheel and the axle though its centre. :smile:
johnpaul
page0003.jpg

what is the required force to start moving a sliding door weighing 100 kg with two rollers.
what are the forces acting on the system?

shall i used rolling friction on this?

what formula to use?

thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi johnpaul! Welcome to PF! :wink:

There's no such thing as "rolling friction", since a pair of rolling surfaces don't move with respect to each other.

There's rolling resistance, which is essentially energy lost due to deformation of the wheel, but I shouldn't think three's much of that with steel.

The main problem will be friction between the wheel and the axle though its centre. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi johnpaul! Welcome to PF! :wink:

There's no such thing as "rolling friction", since a pair of rolling surfaces don't move with respect to each other.

There's rolling resistance, which is essentially energy lost due to deformation of the wheel, but I shouldn't think three's much of that with steel.

The main problem will be friction between the wheel and the axle though its centre. :smile:

But wouldn't the bearings be subject to rolling resistance as opposed to friction?
Maybe you assumed no bearings whereas I assumed bearings :-)

hi tim, hi molydood,

please correct me if I am wrong.

here's my computation:

Weight of door=100 kg
Number of wheels= 2
Weight per wheel =(100kg)/(2)= 50kg

F1= αW / r

F1- resistant force of a single wheel
α - coefficient of rolling friction
W - weight
r - radius (0.015m)

F1≈(0.0005 m)(50 kg) / (0.015 m)
F1≈ 1.67 kg; say 2kg

F''≈(F1)(2 wheels)
F''≈(2kg)(2 wheels)
F''≈4 kg

Force to move the 100 kg door horizontally:
F≈ 4 kg

Values for rolling friction from various sources are not consistent and the following values should only be used for approximate calculations.

Steel on Steel α = 0.0005m

hi,

can anyone advise me what is the proper way in computing the friction between wheel and the axle? its just a simple door carrier(please refer to the drawings above).

thanks

Related to Help (required force to move a sliding door weighing 100 kg with two rollers)

1. How much force is required to move a sliding door weighing 100 kg?

The force required to move a sliding door depends on several factors, such as the type of rollers used, the condition of the door and its track, and the amount of friction present. However, as a general rule, it would take around 100-200 newtons of force to move a sliding door weighing 100 kg.

2. Can two rollers be used to move a sliding door weighing 100 kg?

Yes, two rollers can be used to move a sliding door weighing 100 kg. However, the type and quality of the rollers play a crucial role in determining the amount of force required to move the door. It is recommended to use high-quality, smooth rollers to reduce the force needed to move the door.

3. What is the importance of the condition of the door and its track in moving a sliding door?

The condition of the door and its track can greatly affect the force required to move a sliding door. If the door is damaged or warped, it may create more friction and make it harder to move. Similarly, if the track is dirty or damaged, it may also increase the force needed to move the door. It is essential to regularly clean and maintain both the door and its track to ensure smooth movement.

4. How does friction affect the force needed to move a sliding door?

Friction plays a significant role in determining the force required to move a sliding door. Friction is the force that opposes motion and is created when two surfaces rub against each other. The more friction present, the more force is needed to overcome it and move the door. To reduce friction and make it easier to move the door, lubrication can be applied to the rollers and track.

5. Are there any techniques to reduce the force needed to move a sliding door?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to reduce the force needed to move a sliding door. One technique is to use high-quality, smooth rollers that create less friction. Another technique is to regularly clean and maintain the door and its track to ensure smooth movement. Applying lubrication to the rollers and track can also reduce friction and make it easier to move the door. Additionally, adjusting the position of the rollers or adding additional rollers can also help distribute the weight of the door and reduce the force needed to move it.