Help running MikTex in Windows XP

In summary, to install MikTeX on Windows XP, it is necessary to change user variables, download and install Emacs, AucTeX, Ispell, Ghostscript, Ghostview, and MikTeX.
Sirus
I have installed the program but cannot seem to execute any of the applications (like texify). Some websites list the following method for running MikTex in XP:

"First, I prepare my computer as instructed by http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/preparation.html . I changed all the "user variables" to my favorite directories (say, E:\) except for the variable "DICTDIR". I keep "c:\usr\local\lib" because the installation procedure of ISPELL suggests that we cannot change this. This is a very important step. We need to sychronize the user variables and what we do in the installation steps. Don't worry. If we have done differently in the installation step, we can always come back to change the user variables. Secondly, I download all the first seven files listed in http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/download.html . Thirdly, I install Emacs, AucTeX, Ispell, Ghostscript, Ghostview and MikTeX. I checked at every steps according to the suggestion at http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/install.html . Everything worked when I am done with the installation. The only exception is that I do not see color of different LaTeX commands. For this, I follow the instruction at http://www.eece.unm.edu/pipermail/eece537/2001-November/000034.html to modify my .emacs file. Then everything worked great."

For those of you who have done it in XP, is it necessary?

Thank you,

Sirus

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
All I did was add the MikTeX binaries folder to my path (Control Panel/System/Advanced/Environment Variables). Open up a command window, run [la]tex mydoc.tex and it goes.

All the other stuff you mentioned is helper stuff. Emacs/AucTeX for editing your tex files, ghostscript/ghostview for creating/viewing Postscript files, ispell for spell checking. if you want to use them, install them. otherwise it's not necessary.

Perfect. Thanks.

Related to Help running MikTex in Windows XP

1. How do I install MikTex on Windows XP?

To install MikTex on Windows XP, you can follow these steps:

1. Go to the MikTex website and download the installer for Windows XP.
  2. Run the installer and follow the prompts to complete the installation process.
  3. Once the installation is complete, open MikTex and configure the settings according to your preferences.

2. How do I update MikTex on Windows XP?

To update MikTex on Windows XP, you can follow these steps:

1. Open MikTex and go to the "Maintenance" tab.
  2. Click on "Update MikTex" and follow the prompts to complete the update process.
  3. You can also choose to update specific packages by selecting them and clicking on "Update selected packages".

3. How do I add a new package to MikTex on Windows XP?

To add a new package to MikTex on Windows XP, you can follow these steps:

1. Open MikTex and go to the "Maintenance" tab.
  2. Click on "Package Manager" and search for the package you want to add.
  3. Select the package and click on "Install" to add it to MikTex.

4. How do I compile a LaTeX document in MikTex on Windows XP?

To compile a LaTeX document in MikTex on Windows XP, you can follow these steps:

1. Create a new LaTeX document or open an existing one in an editor like TeXworks.
  2. Write your document and save it with the .tex extension.
  3. In TeXworks, click on the green arrow button to compile the document.
  4. If there are no errors, a PDF file will be generated with your compiled document.

5. How do I troubleshoot errors in MikTex on Windows XP?

To troubleshoot errors in MikTex on Windows XP, you can follow these steps:

1. Make sure that you have installed all necessary packages and that MikTex is up to date.
  2. Check for any typos or errors in your LaTeX document.
  3. If the error persists, you can try deleting all temporary files and recompiling the document.
  4. You can also check the MikTex user forum or contact their technical support for further assistance.