Help simplifying this using Stirlings' Formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Stirling's Approximation to simplify a formula for the multiplicity of an Einstein solid. The formula is given as \Omega \left( N,q\right) =\dfrac {N} {q+N}\dfrac {\left( q+N\right) !} {q!N!} and it is shown that this can be simplified further by cancelling a common factor of N in the numerator and denominator. The final simplified formula is \Omega \left( N,q\right) \approx \dfrac {\left( q+N\right) !} {q!N!}.
eprparadox
Hey guys!

So I'm self studying Daniel Schroeder's Intro to Thermal Physics and we're to use Stirlings Approximation to simplify the following (assume that BOTH q and N are large, but we don't have a relationship between q and N):

[tex]
\Omega \left( N,q\right) \approx \dfrac {\left( \dfrac {q+N} {q}\right) ^{q}\left( \dfrac {q+N} {N}\right) ^{N}} {\sqrt {2\pi q\left( q+N\right) / N}}
[/tex]

The formula to find the multiplicity of an Einstein solid is:

[tex]
\Omega \left( N,q\right) =\dfrac {\left( N-1+q\right) !} {q!\left( N-1\right) !}
[/tex]

The hint in the text says to show that first:

[tex]
\Omega \left( N,q\right) =\dfrac {N} {q+N}\dfrac {\left( q+N\right) !} {q!N!}
[/tex]

With q and N being large, I thought I could immediately say that

[tex]
\Omega \left( N,q\right) \approx \dfrac {\left( q+N\right) !} {q!N!}
[/tex]

But I don't know where you get the

[tex]
\dfrac {N} {q+N}
[/tex]

I tried immediately applying Stirlings Approximation but got nothing like the hint or the answer we're looking for.

I'm a little lost on where to begin here. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
eprparadox said:
[tex]
\Omega \left( N,q\right) =\dfrac {N} {q+N}\dfrac {\left( q+N\right) !} {q!N!}
[/tex]

If you cancel the common factor of N in the numerator and N in the N! expression in the denominator, what do you get?

oh nice! got it.

Man, I'm dumb! Thanks so much.

Likes perplexabot

Related to Help simplifying this using Stirlings' Formula?

1. What is Stirling's Formula?

Stirling's Formula is a mathematical approximation used to estimate the value of factorial of a large number. It is named after the Scottish mathematician James Stirling.

2. How is Stirling's Formula used?

Stirling's Formula is used to simplify complex expressions that involve factorials of large numbers. It provides a more manageable approximation of the factorial value.

3. What is the formula for Stirling's Formula?

The formula for Stirling's Formula is n! ≈ √(2πn)(n/e)^n, where n is the large number for which the factorial is being approximated, π is the mathematical constant pi, and e is the mathematical constant euler's number.

4. What are the limitations of Stirling's Formula?

Stirling's Formula is an approximation and it may not provide an accurate value for very large or very small numbers. It also does not work for negative numbers or non-integer values.

5. Can Stirling's Formula be used for all types of mathematical expressions?

No, Stirling's Formula is specifically used for simplifying expressions involving factorials. It cannot be used for other types of mathematical expressions.