Help Solve Motion Expression Problem w/ Fourier Series

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the motion of a string that has been stretched and then released, using the Fourier series method. The formula provided in the text is used, and the solution has been found.
Reshma
I need your guidance in this problem.

Problem:
The midpoint of a stretched string of length 'L' is pulled a distance U = L/10 from its equilibrium position so that the string forms 2 sides of an isosceles triangle. The string is then released. Find the expression for the motion by the Fourier series method.

My problem is I have no idea of how Fourier analysis is done cause my course never included this topic. But the formula hinted in my text is:
[tex]U(x,t) = \sum_n\left[A_n\sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\cos \frac{n\pi ct}{L} + B_n\sin \frac{n\pi x}{L}\sin \frac{n\pi ct}{L}\right][/tex]
Can someone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I found the solution :biggrin: !

FAQ: Help Solve Motion Expression Problem w/ Fourier Series

1. What is the Fourier Series?

The Fourier Series is a mathematical tool that can be used to represent a periodic function as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions. It is named after French mathematician Joseph Fourier.

2. How can the Fourier Series help solve motion expression problems?

The Fourier Series can be used to represent the motion of a periodic object, such as a pendulum or a vibrating string, as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions. This allows us to accurately model and predict the motion of these objects.

3. What are some applications of the Fourier Series in science and engineering?

The Fourier Series has many applications in science and engineering, including signal processing, image compression, and heat transfer analysis. It is also used in fields such as physics, biology, and finance to model periodic phenomena.

4. What are some limitations of using the Fourier Series to solve motion expression problems?

The Fourier Series is only applicable to periodic functions, so it cannot be used to solve non-periodic motion problems. It also assumes that the motion is continuous and smooth, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving motion expression problems?

Yes, there are other mathematical tools and techniques that can be used to solve motion expression problems, such as differential equations and numerical methods. These methods may be more suitable for non-periodic or discontinuous motion problems.