Help Solve Unique Digit Puzzle - Thank You!

In summary, the conversation is about a tricky problem involving unique digits from 0 to 9 represented by letters. The problem was solved using a computer program that brute-forced all possible combinations. The person who solved it is curious if there is a non-brute force solution.
nypuzzle
Hi guys,
Can you help me with this problem, please?

:confused:

...H
...______
EJS)HWNR
...CFJL
...______
...CHW

where each letter is unique digit from 0 to 9

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
That was a pretty tricky one. Not too many clues that I could divine from the puzzle itself, so I had to completely brute-force the answer using a computer program. Were there any additional hints provided with the problem?

The other strange thing about it seems to be that the letters are pretty random. Typically, you'd have the letters A-J, or have them spell out words, like:

...I
..._____
ANT)ISLE
...HONK
...-----
...HIS

Or even spell out a word if arranged in ascending or descending order. But in this case, it seems they were just random-- as though there ought to be more to the puzzle.

DaveE

Last edited:
hey davee123

there was nothing more

how did you write code for that, I want to try on my own

thanks

nypuzzle said:
how did you write code for that, I want to try on my own

I wrote a quick Perl script that went through all the possible combinations of 0-9. Effectively, it assigned a digit to each letter (my variable names were simply the letter names), and tested to see if that particular combination worked. Probably took less than 5 minutes or so to write the program, and maybe 20-30 seconds to run it.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here is able to use non-brute force on this problem. Otherwise, it's more like a programming challenge rather than a brain teaser or math problem.

DaveE

nypuzzle said:
...H
...______
EJS)HWNR
...CFJL
...______
...CHW

ok, I have it!

..._____
934)7210
..._____

but how can I get not by brute force..?

Related to Help Solve Unique Digit Puzzle - Thank You!

What is the "Help Solve Unique Digit Puzzle - Thank You!"?

The "Help Solve Unique Digit Puzzle - Thank You!" is a mathematical puzzle designed to test one's problem-solving skills and logical thinking. It involves arranging a set of digits in a specific order to create a unique number.

What are the rules of the "Help Solve Unique Digit Puzzle - Thank You!"?

The rules of the puzzle are simple: you must arrange a set of digits (usually 1-9) in a specific order to create a unique number. Each digit can only be used once, and the number cannot start with zero.

What is the purpose of the "Help Solve Unique Digit Puzzle - Thank You!"?

The purpose of the puzzle is to challenge and stimulate one's problem-solving abilities, as well as to exercise the brain and improve logical thinking skills.

What strategies can be used to solve the "Help Solve Unique Digit Puzzle - Thank You!"?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve the puzzle, such as trial and error, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and using logical deductions based on the given rules.

Are there different variations of the "Help Solve Unique Digit Puzzle - Thank You!"?

Yes, there are many variations of the puzzle, which may include different sets of digits or additional rules, making it more challenging. Some variations may also involve solving the puzzle within a certain time limit or using a specific calculation method.