Help Solving a Stalled Car Problem

• Thread starter jorge0531
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the student's car stalled in front of a speed bump and she tied a cable to her bumper and a tree to pull it over. With a force of 73.0 lbs (325 N) applied at a 11.0° angle, the size of the force pulling the car is being sought. The problem involves finding the tension in the cable and may be solved by assuming acceleration is zero and applying Newton's second law of motion.
jorge0531
I would really appreciate some help with this problem.

1. A student's car stalls right in front of a speed bump while she is on her way to physics class. To pull it over the bump, she ties a cable to her bumper and to a nearby tree, and pulls with a force, F, of 73.0 lbs (325 N) at the midpoint in a perpendicular direction.
If θ is 11.0°, what is the size of the force pulling the car in lbs?

2. I know it must have something to do with finding the tension in the cable I just have no idea how so any help or hint would again be greatly appreciated.3. Maybe it has to do with Newton's second law of motion "F=ma" but the problem doesn't give me mass. I honestly have no idea what to do here.

Attachments

• prob08_carwork.gif
    prob08_carwork.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jorge0531! welcome to pf! :wink:
jorge0531 said:
… Maybe it has to do with Newton's second law of motion "F=ma" but the problem doesn't give me mass.

in questions like this, you can assume that the acceleration is zero

so the three forces on that "corner" of the rope must add to zero :smile:

Related to Help Solving a Stalled Car Problem

1. What causes a car to stall?

There can be several reasons for a car to stall, including a faulty fuel system, a problem with the ignition system, or a malfunctioning engine sensor.

2. How do I know if my car is stalling?

Your car may start jerking or vibrating, the engine may make unusual noises, and the car may lose power or completely shut off while driving.

3. Can I restart my car after it stalls?

Yes, you can typically restart your car after it stalls. However, it is important to find out the cause of the stall to prevent it from happening again.

4. What should I do if my car stalls while I'm driving?

If your car stalls while you are driving, try to safely pull over to the side of the road. Check for any obvious issues, such as an empty gas tank, and try to restart the car. If it continues to stall, it is best to call for professional assistance.

5. How can I prevent my car from stalling?

Regular maintenance, such as changing the oil and filters, can help prevent stalling. It is also important to pay attention to any warning signs and have them addressed promptly to avoid stalling while driving.