Help Understanding Chain Rule Example Problem in Calculus

In summary, the given problem involves the chain rule for finding derivatives in Calculus, specifically with factoring. The given example shows the process of factoring out a common factor and simplifying the resulting expression. The area of difficulty for the student is understanding how the result is derived.
RslM

Homework Statement

May I please have help understanding this example problem in my textbook.

I am working on the chain rule for finding derivatives in Calculus. What I am currently having trouble with is factoring. My textbook gives the follwing example:

f'(x) =(3x - 5)4(7 - x)10

f'(x) = (3x - 5)4 x 10(7 - x)9(-1) + (7 - x)104(3x - 5)3(3)

= -10(3x - 5)4(7 - x)9 + (7 - x)1012(3x - 5)3

Here it says 2(3x - 5)3(7 - x)9 is factored out.

= 2(3x - 5)3(7 - x)9[-5(3x - 5) + 6(7 - x)]

=2(3x - 5)3(7 - x)9(-15x + 25 + 42 - 6x)

And it continues onto simplification.

The area I have trouble with is when 2(3x - 5)3(7 - x)9 is factored out.

I am not fully understanding why

= 2(3x - 5)3(7 - x)9[-5(3x - 5) + 6(7 - x)]

is the result. How was it derived?

Thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it will be simpler for you to understand if we rewrite
RslM said:
= -10(3x - 5)4(7 - x)9 + (7 - x)1012(3x - 5)3
as
$$
(2) (-5) a^4 b^9 + (2) (6) b^{10} a^3
$$
A factor of 2 is common to both terms, and you can factor out lowest power of ##a## and of ##b##, that is ##2 a^3 b^9##. Divide the first term by this factor,
$$
\frac{(2)(-5) a^4 b^9 }{2 a^3 b^9} = -5 a,
$$
and do the same with the second term. You get
$$
(2) (-5) a^4 b^9 + (2)(6) b^{10} a^3 = 2 a^3 b^9 \left( -5 a + 6 b \right)
$$

FAQ: Help Understanding Chain Rule Example Problem in Calculus

What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. In simpler terms, it helps us to find the rate of change of a function within another function.

How do I use the chain rule in a calculus problem?

To use the chain rule, you need to identify the composite function and its individual components. Then, you can use the formula "dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx" to find the derivative.

Can you provide an example of using the chain rule in a calculus problem?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3)^4. To find the derivative, we can rewrite it as f(u) = u^4, where u = x^2 + 3. Then, using the chain rule, we get: df/du = 4u^3 and du/dx = 2x. Putting it together, we get df/dx = df/du * du/dx = 4u^3 * 2x = 8x(x^2 + 3)^3.

What is the purpose of using the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is essential for solving more complex calculus problems, especially those involving composite functions. It allows us to find the derivative of a function within another function, making it a powerful tool in solving real-world problems.

Are there any tips for understanding and remembering the chain rule?

One helpful tip is to practice, practice, practice! The more problems you solve using the chain rule, the more familiar and comfortable you will become with it. Also, try to understand the concept behind the rule rather than just memorizing the formula. This will help you apply it to different types of problems.

Back