Help understanding equation involving a partial derivative

In summary, the given equation is used to derive the Taylor expansion formula in two variables and is similar to the mean value theorem. It can be seen as the first formula in beginning calculus when x varies and in the more general case, it must include a term for y variation as well.
Woolyabyss
Mod note: Moved from a homework section
1. Homework Statement

N/A

Homework Equations

f(x + Δx,y) = f(x,y) + ∂f(x,y)/∂x*Δx

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry this isn't really homework. We were given this equation today in order to derive the Taylor expansion formula in two variables and I'm not sure where it came from.It seems similar to the mean value theorem.

any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Woolyabyss said:
1. Homework Statement

N/A

Homework Equations

Sorry this isn't really homework. We were given this equation today in order to derive the Taylor expansion formula in two variables and I'm not sure where it came from.It seems similar to the mean value theorem.

It's helpful to sketch the surface z = f(x, y), showing the points ##(x_0, y_0, f(x_0, y_0))## and ##(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0, f(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0))##. The formula above should really be ##f(x_0 + \Delta a, y_0) \approx f(x_0, y_0) + \frac{\partial f(x, y)}{\partial x}|_{(x_0, y_0)} \Delta x##, since the right side is only an approximation to the left side.

What's happening here is that the expression on the right side gives the approximate function value using the line that is tangent to the surface z = f(x,y) at ##(x_0, y_0, z_0)## (with ##z_0 = f(x_0, y_0)##), along a direction parallel to the x-axis. The value that is produced might be smaller than the actual function value on the surface, or it might be larger, depending on whether the surface is concave up or concave down, respectively, near the point ##(x_0, y_0, z_0)##.

Likes Woolyabyss
Mark44 said:
It's helpful to sketch the surface z = f(x, y), showing the points ##(x_0, y_0, f(x_0, y_0))## and ##(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0, f(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0))##. The formula above should really be ##f(x_0 + \Delta a, y_0) \approx f(x_0, y_0) + \frac{\partial f(x, y)}{\partial x}|_{(x_0, y_0)} \Delta x##, since the right side is only an approximation to the left side.

What's happening here is that the expression on the right side gives the approximate function value using the line that is tangent to the surface z = f(x,y) at ##(x_0, y_0, z_0)## (with ##z_0 = f(x_0, y_0)##), along a direction parallel to the x-axis. The value that is produced might be smaller than the actual function value on the surface, or it might be larger, depending on whether the surface is concave up or concave down, respectively, near the point ##(x_0, y_0, z_0)##.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still unsure about how the line to the tangent of the surface can be used to approximate the function in the example given.

Woolyabyss said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm still unsure about how the line to the tangent of the surface can be used to approximate the function in the example given.
In pretty much the same way that ##f(x_0 + \Delta x)## can be approximated by ##f(x_0) + f'(x_0) \Delta x##. It's really the same idea. Here's an example using a function of one variable.
Let ##f(x) = \sqrt{x}##. Approximate ##\sqrt{4.1}##
Here x0 = 4, f(x0) = 2, and ##\Delta x = .1##
##\sqrt{4.1} = f(x_0 + \Delta x) \approx f(x_0) + f'(x_0) \Delta x = 2 + \frac{1}{2\sqrt{4}} .1 = 2.025##
So ##\sqrt{4.1} \approx 2.025##.
Compare this answer with what I get from a calculator, approximately 2.02484567.

My answer overestimates the actual answer because the tangent line approximation gives me a number that is above the curve ##y = \sqrt{x}##.

Likes Bong_Nebula and Woolyabyss
Woolyabyss said:
1. Homework Statement

N/A

Homework Equations

Last term is Δf (lim as → 0 bla bla). Take first RHS term to LHS and you see nothing but your first ever formula in beginning calculus.

They're assuming here only x varies and they must soon get to x and y both vary in which case they'd have to add a + ∂f/∂y*Δy

FAQ: Help understanding equation involving a partial derivative

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to describe how a function changes with respect to one of its variables while keeping the other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative is used to find the rate of change of a single-variable function, while a partial derivative is used to find the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables.

3. Can you give an example of an equation involving a partial derivative?

One example of an equation involving a partial derivative is the heat equation, which describes the distribution of heat in a given system over time. It involves the partial derivative of temperature with respect to both time and position.

4. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable you are interested in while treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using the power rule, product rule, and chain rule, depending on the complexity of the function.

5. Why are partial derivatives important in science?

Partial derivatives are important in science because they allow us to understand how different variables affect a system and how they change over time. This is essential in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, where complex systems are often described by multivariable functions.