Help understanding internal energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of internal energy in thermodynamics and the first law, which states that the change in internal energy is equal to the heat added minus the work done by the system. There is a question about how the internal energy can be a function of state when there are multiple microscopic configurations that produce the same state. It is suggested that this is due to the assumption that all microstates are obtainable through a series of elastic collisions from a reference state. However, this may not apply to real gases with molecular internal degrees of freedom.
nashed
Edit: @Dale managed to do a far better job in stating the problem, essentially the question is why do we get the same internal energy for different microstates corresponding to a single thermodynamic state

Original Post:

So I'm self studying a course about thermodynamics and statistical physics ( due to personal issues I could not attend the lectures ) using Mehran Kardar's Statistical Physics of Particles, the book starts with thermodynamics, it started with the zeroth law which after some struggle I think I've got a grip on.

Now I'm tackling the first law and and I just cannot understand the reasoning behind it, it states that the work required to change an adiabatically insulated system from one state to another is a function of only the initial and final states, in other words it implies the existence of and energy function for the states, which is called the internal energy.

After some digging around the internet I saw that it was stated in multiple places that the internal energy is a measure of the energy of the constitute particles (kinetic, potential, bond, etc..), this explains the conservation of energy ( because essentially when talking about heat transfer we're talking about the mechanical transfer of energy at the microscopic level), what it doesn't explain is how come that the internal energy can be a function of state seeing that there are multiple microscopic configurations to produce the same state, that implies that every single configuration has the same energy which I doubt is true.

I guess my question is can anyone explain internal energy to me? because the way I understand it, it should not exist in the first place.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you're trying to understand the 1st law of thermodynamics, it is more appropriate to focus on the change of the internal energy of a thermodynamic system.

As is well known, this equation states: ##\Delta U = Q - W## where ##\Delta U## is the change in internal energy, ##Q## is heat added to the system and ##W## is the work done by the system. Now, in words, this states that the change in internal energy of a system is the heat added minus the work done by the system. So, the focus is on the changes of internal energy: what we give minus what the system does as work. As an example take the case of having a gas. We heat it and this expands. This expansion can be used to push a piston for instance and this is the work done by the system.

nashed said:
it states that the work required to change an adiabatically insulated system from one state to another is a function of only the initial and final states, in other words it implies the existence of and energy function for the states, which is called the internal energy.

I think that the above example combined with constant pressure explains this.

nashed said:
After some digging around the internet I saw that it was stated in multiple places that the internal energy is a measure of the energy of the constitute particles (kinetic, potential, bond, etc..), this explains the conservation of energy ( because essentially when talking about heat transfer we're talking about the mechanical transfer of energy at the microscopic level), what it doesn't explain is how come that the internal energy can be a function of state seeing that there are multiple microscopic configurations to produce the same state, that implies that every single configuration has the same energy which I doubt is true.

nashed said:
I guess my question is can anyone explain internal energy to me? because the way I understand it, it should not exist in the first place.

The system has some internal energy and we're dealing with its changes as we give heat and get some work done by the system, as the expression of 1st law states.

@nashed if I understand you correctly then I think you are asking why the change in internal energy is 0 for changes between different microstates having the same macrostate. Is that correct?

Dale said:
@nashed if I understand you correctly then I think you are asking why the change in internal energy is 0 for changes between different microstates having the same macrostate. Is that correct?
Yes that would be a much better way to state it

I have not thought about that before. I would be interested to hear from others about it.

I guess maybe by definition a macrostate is a set of microstates that are indistinguishable from each other, and if you could get energy out then they would be distinguishable. That doesn't answer why the distinguishable features are pressure, volume, and temperature.

Likes nashed
Dale said:
I have not thought about that before. I would be interested to hear from others about it.

I guess maybe by definition a macrostate is a set of microstates that are indistinguishable from each other, and if you could get energy out then they would be distinguishable. That doesn't answer why the distinguishable features are pressure, volume, and temperature.

After giving it some thought I had an idea, if all the microstates corresponding to the same macrostate are the result of a series of elastic collisions of each other ( that is assume a microstate A, a series of elastic collisions occurs during some time frame t, then after that time frame we are in microstate B) then conservation of energy applies and indeed all microstates have the same energy, but this rests on the assumption that all microstates are obatinable through a series of elastic collision from some reference state.

nashed said:
this rests on the assumption that all microstates are obatinable through a series of elastic collision from some reference state.
For an ideal gas that certainly is the case, since there are no internal degrees of freedom within the gas molecules. But as you get real gasses with molecular internal degrees of freedom the collisions become inelastic. I'm not sure where to go from there.

Related to Help understanding internal energy

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is a measure of the total energy contained within a system. It includes all forms of energy, such as kinetic energy and potential energy, that are present at the microscopic level of the system.

2. How is internal energy different from heat and work?

Heat and work are two mechanisms by which energy can be transferred into or out of a system, while internal energy is a property of the system itself. Heat is the transfer of energy due to a temperature difference, while work is the transfer of energy due to a force acting on the system.

3. What are the factors that affect the internal energy of a system?

The internal energy of a system is affected by its temperature, pressure, and the number and types of particles present in the system. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the internal energy of the system.

4. How is internal energy related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. Internal energy is a form of energy, and any changes in the internal energy of a system must be accounted for by the transfer or conversion of other forms of energy.

5. Can internal energy be measured directly?

No, internal energy can only be measured indirectly by measuring changes in other properties, such as temperature or pressure, and using mathematical equations to calculate the change in internal energy. However, the absolute value of internal energy cannot be determined, only the change in internal energy can be measured.

Back