Help understanding NMOS waveforms

• Thread starter jendrix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waveforms
In summary: S1 is the voltage at the source with respect to ground, not respect to the drain.In summary, the conversation discusses an example simulation on Microwind of an NMOS device with clock signals at the gate and drain. The purpose of S1 in the diagram is questioned, with the conclusion that it is likely the voltage at the source with respect to ground. The circuit diagram is requested for more accurate assistance. The conversation also mentions the possibility of an NMOS driving a capacitor, which could explain the on/off drain voltage and the behavior of S1.
jendrix
Hello,

I have doing an example simulation on microwind of an nmos device. This has a clock signal at the gate and at the drain, though they are at difference frequencies. I'm not sure what the S1 is referring to in this diagram

http://imgur.com/a/B9Nes

Is it the current through the device, it says it is voltage vs time but as I understand it, when a transistor is on there is little voltage across it? But in this scenario S1 is almost the same as the gate voltage?Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
jendrix said:
Is it the current through the device, it says it is voltage vs time but as I understand it, when a transistor is on there is little voltage across it? But in this scenario S1 is almost the same as the gate voltage?

s1 is likely the voltage at the source with respect to ground, not respect to the drain. Do you have the circuit diagram?

Jd0g33 said:
s1 is likely the voltage at the source with respect to ground, not respect to the drain. Do you have the circuit diagram?

Hello, I was using a guide in the Microwind manual which is the same process as this video

Are we to assume that the source is connected via a resistor to ground? Because at the point ~0.2 seconds we see S1 remain high when the gate goes off, how would this be possible if there were no current running?Thanks

You only connect the source through a resistor to ground if you're degenerating the transconductance of the device. If you don't know what that means, don't do it.

From looking at your plots, it looks like you're making an inverter with a single nmos device. Is this correct? Without knowing how the device is connected it is hard to help.

analogdesign said:
You only connect the source through a resistor to ground if you're degenerating the transconductance of the device. If you don't know what that means, don't do it.

From looking at your plots, it looks like you're making an inverter with a single nmos device. Is this correct? Without knowing how the device is connected it is hard to help.

Hi, thanks but I don't know the circuit unfortunately. It was an introduction to cmos design from the Microwind manual but it doesn't tell you the layout. I'll have to clarify with my teacher as you are correct, without knowing the layout it is guesswork.

Thanks anyway

jendrix said:
Because at the point ~0.2 seconds we see S1 remain high when the gate goes off, how would this be possible if there were no current running?
Correct. I'm guessing it's an NMOS driving a capacitor. That would be the reason for the on/off drain voltage, to discharge the capacitor when Vd = 0. Essentially, when the cap is charged and Vd = 0, the drain becomes the source and the source becomes the drain.

Related to Help understanding NMOS waveforms

1. What is an NMOS waveform?

An NMOS waveform refers to the waveform of a type of transistor called an NMOS (n-channel metal-oxide-semiconductor) transistor. This type of transistor is commonly used in digital circuits to switch or amplify electrical signals.

2. What are the main characteristics of NMOS waveforms?

NMOS waveforms typically have a steep rise and fall time, a relatively high output voltage, and a low output impedance. They can also operate at high speeds and consume low power.

3. How do I interpret NMOS waveforms?

To interpret NMOS waveforms, you need to understand the different regions of operation for an NMOS transistor. These include the cut-off, triode, and saturation regions. Additionally, you need to be familiar with the concepts of drain current, gate-source voltage, and drain-source voltage.

4. What are some common applications of NMOS waveforms?

NMOS waveforms are commonly used in digital integrated circuits, such as microprocessors, memory chips, and logic gates. They can also be used in analog circuits, such as amplifiers and filters.

5. How can I improve my understanding of NMOS waveforms?

To improve your understanding of NMOS waveforms, you can study the principles of transistor operation, learn about different types of transistors, and practice analyzing and interpreting waveforms. You can also refer to textbooks, online resources, and consult with experts in the field.