Help understanding the adjoint equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter nacho-man
  • Start date
In summary, the lecturer's notes show that in order to check if an equation is adjoint, one must check if $ p_1' = p_0'' + p_2 $ for $L[u] = p_0u'' + p_1u' + p2u = r$. The expansion from the first line to the second line in the provided screenshot is achieved through the use of the product rule. Additionally, the equation $M[v] = (v'' p_0 + 2v' (p_0)' + v (p_0)'') - (v' p_1 + v (p_1)') + vp_2 = p_0 v'' + [-p_
nacho-man
So I have attached a screenshot of my lecturer's notes,
I can't quite understand the logical reasoning behind the link he's made between the two equations.

Previously he'd given us the fact that to check if an equation was adjoint,
you check if $ p_1' = p_0'' + p_2 $

for
$L = p_0u'' + p_1u' + p2u = r$

I am not sure if he has used this previous rule to here, but certainly I am a little dumbfounded.
I would appreciate any help!

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 63
Physics news on Phys.org
nacho said:
So I have attached a screenshot of my lecturer's notes,
I can't quite understand the logical reasoning behind the link he's made between the two equations.

Previously he'd given us the fact that to check if an equation was adjoint,
you check if $ p_1' = p_0'' + p_2 $

for
$L = p_0u'' + p_1u' + p2u = r$

I am not sure if he has used this previous rule to here, but certainly I am a little dumbfounded.
I would appreciate any help!

Thanks

Hi nacho,

Your professor may have checked that $L$ is adjoint, but that does not determine $M$. To have an adjoint, there must be an inner product defined. What was the inner product that he used?

Euge said:
Hi nacho,

Your professor may have checked that $L$ is adjoint, but that does not determine $M$. To have an adjoint, there must be an inner product defined. What was the inner product that he used?

Sorry, I am not entirely sure what you mean by inner product! :(

I hope my question was not vague, but I essentially want to know how the
first line of the equation expands to the second line in the screenshot I provided in the original post.

Thanks!

Ok, now I understand your question.

First, let's expand $(vp_1)'$. By the product rule, we have

$\displaystyle (vp_1)' = v' p_1 + v (p_1)'$.

Now for $(vp_0)''$. Like with $(vp_1)'$,

$\displaystyle (vp_0)' = v' p_0 + v (p_0)'$.

Differentiate both sides to get

$\displaystyle (vp_0)'' = (v' p_0)' + (v(p_0)')'$.

By the product rule we obtain

$\displaystyle (v' p_0)' = v'' p_0 + v' (p_0)'$

and

$\displaystyle (v (p_0)')' = v' (p_0)' + v (p_0)''$.

Adding the two results,

$\displaystyle (vp_0)'' = v'' p_0 + 2 v' (p_0)' + v (p_0)''$.

Now we can express

$M[v] = (v'' p_0 + 2v' (p_0)' + v (p_0)'') - (v' p_1 + v (p_1)') + vp_2$

$\displaystyle = p_0 v'' + [-p_1 + 2(p_0)'] v' + [p_2 - p_1 + (p_0)''] v$.

,The adjoint equation is a mathematical concept that is used in many different fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is a mathematical tool that is used to solve certain types of problems, particularly those involving boundary value problems.

In simple terms, the adjoint equation is the dual equation to the original equation. It is derived by taking the original equation and flipping the sign of the highest order derivative. So for the equation $L = p_0u'' + p_1u' + p2u = r$, the adjoint equation would be $L^*[v] = -p_0v'' + p_1v' + p_2v = \phi$, where $v$ and $\phi$ are the adjoint variables.

The reason why the adjoint equation is important is because it allows us to solve boundary value problems by using the Green's function. The Green's function is a function that satisfies the adjoint equation, and it is used to solve the original equation by taking the inner product of the Green's function and the source term.

So to answer your question, the link between the two equations is that the adjoint equation is derived from the original equation and is used to solve boundary value problems. The rule that your lecturer gave you is a way to check if an equation is adjoint, but it is not the only way. It is important to understand the concept behind the adjoint equation and how it is used in solving problems. If you are still having trouble understanding, I would recommend talking to your lecturer or seeking additional resources to help clarify the concept for you.

FAQ: Help understanding the adjoint equation

1. What is the adjoint equation?

The adjoint equation is a mathematical tool used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. It is a linear differential equation that is the adjoint of a given differential equation. It is used to find the optimal solution to a problem by minimizing or maximizing a particular functional.

2. Why is the adjoint equation important?

The adjoint equation allows us to find the optimal solution to a problem in a more efficient way than traditional methods. It also provides insights into the sensitivity of a solution with respect to the parameters involved, making it a powerful tool in optimization and sensitivity analysis.

3. How is the adjoint equation derived?

The adjoint equation is derived using the method of Lagrange multipliers, which involves adding an additional term to the original differential equation. This additional term is called the adjoint variable and is used to enforce the constraints of the problem. The resulting equation is then solved to find the optimal solution.

4. What are some applications of the adjoint equation?

The adjoint equation has a wide range of applications, including optimal control, shape optimization, and sensitivity analysis. It is used in fields such as fluid dynamics, structural mechanics, and quantum mechanics to find the optimal solution to complex problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the adjoint equation?

The adjoint equation is a powerful tool, but it does have some limitations. It is most effective for linear problems, and its applicability to nonlinear problems is limited. Additionally, it requires a good understanding of calculus and differential equations to use effectively.

Back