Help understanding the basics of surface tension?

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of understanding surface tension in chemistry and the request for help with practice questions. The homework problem involves an oil film separated from a liquid film by a loop of flexible string and the effects of changing the liquid surface tension and the area of the oil film. The steps to solve the problem are outlined, but the specific values and equilibrium points are unknown. The practical implications in terms of thermodynamic principles are also mentioned, but further analysis is needed.
nitroblu
We're learning about the basics behind surface tension in chemistry and I'm having trouble applying what I learned. I've gone through my class notes over and over for the past 4 hours and I can't figure out how to even begin to solve the problem!

Can I have some help understanding the basics behind these practice question?

Homework Statement

Suppose an oil film is separated from a liquid film by a loop of flexible string (secured at the edges). Initially, γoil = γliq = 15 mJ/m2 .

a) If we increase the liquid surface tension to γliq= 72 mJ/m2, what will happen to the oil film?

b) If the area of the oil film increased by 1 cm2, calculate the changes in the free energy of the oil film, liquid film and system (oil + liquid), and discuss the practical implications in terms of thermodynamic principles.

Homework Equations

γ = F/L
γ = dG/dA
γ = wi(zsurface - zbulk)/2a0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry I don't even know where to begin! I'm not really looking for the answers but how I can begin to solve them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone point me at least in the right direction?

Btw, I forgot to upload the picture that goes along with the question in my first post.
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1567/unledssv.jpg

Here's what I have so far:

a) Increasing the surface tension of the liquid results in increased inward surface tension force, causing the liquid molecules at the surface to move into the bulk. This means oil molecules in the bulk will need to move to the surface to fill the void, resulting in the oil film stretching out to the secured edges of the string (and thus the cross-section of the oil film decreases in width).

However, I have no clue how to incorporate the values of 15 or 72 mJ/m2 into my answer. Also, will γoil reach equilibrium to 72 mJ/m2? If so, how? I'm completely lost on these points :(!

b) It's a closed system. So an increase of 1 cm2 of the oil film will result in a 1 cm2 decrease of the liquid film, right? This is how I've calculated it.

dGoil = γoildAoil
γoil = 15 mJ/m2
dAoil = 1 cm2 = 0.0001 m2
∴dGoil = 1.5x10-3mJ

dGliq = γliqdAliq
γliq = 15 mJ/m2
dAliq = -1 cm2 = -0.0001 m2
∴dGliq = -1.5x10-3mJ

dGsystem = dGliq + dGoil = 0

Are my calculations right?
If so, does this mean the practical implications is that the system follows the first law of thermodynamics? I feel there's more of that answer than I can currently think of.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Help understanding the basics of surface tension?

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical phenomenon that results from the cohesive forces between molecules at the surface of a liquid. It causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a thin, elastic film, allowing it to resist external forces and maintain its shape.

2. How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured in units of force per unit of length, such as newtons per meter (N/m) or dynes per centimeter (dyn/cm). It can be measured using techniques such as the du Noüy ring or Wilhelmy plate method, which involve measuring the force required to lift a small object from the surface of a liquid.

3. What factors affect surface tension?

Surface tension is influenced by various factors, including the type of liquid, temperature, and the presence of impurities. Generally, liquids with stronger intermolecular forces, such as water, have higher surface tension. Higher temperatures also tend to decrease surface tension, while impurities can disrupt the cohesive forces and lower surface tension.

4. How does surface tension affect the behavior of liquids?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many everyday phenomena, such as the formation of droplets, capillary action, and the movement of insects on water. It also helps explain the unique properties of liquids, such as their ability to form spherical shapes and maintain their surface area under external forces.

5. Can surface tension be altered or controlled?

Yes, surface tension can be altered or controlled through various methods. For example, the addition of surfactants, which are compounds that reduce surface tension, can be used to create foams and emulsions. Furthermore, surface tension can be reduced by increasing the temperature or by applying external forces, such as vibrations or electric fields.

Back