Help understanding torques and moments

In summary: So the total moment of inertia is (mR2+mR2/4)*F, or mR4.In summary, the system has oscillated about an axis normal to the page. The moment of inertia is mR4+mR2/4*F.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

1.JPG

Find the period of small oscillation of this system.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
2.JPG
[/B]
I understand the concept of moment of inertia but can't comprehend the first equaion here. The other two i get and they are moments of inertia of other two bodies. (the left and right)
3.JPG

This is supposed to be the total moment of inertia of the system, right?
Now what's left out from the pictures is that the tensions are:
##T_1=mg-maR## and ##T_2=mg+maR##
and so its continued like this:
4.JPG

The moment is ##M=F*R## but i fail to see what the first term represents and what's with the signs?
The last part is:
5.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand the diagram. Is there a text description of it?
Where is the axis, and in what direction (e.g. normal to the page)?
The two rectangular blocks look like drums seen side on, with strings wrapped around them, with weights suspended. If so, I presume the weights oppose each other.

haruspex said:
I do not understand the diagram. Is there a text description of it?
Where is the axis, and in what direction (e.g. normal to the page)?
The two rectangular blocks look like drums seen side on, with strings wrapped around them, with weights suspended. If so, I presume the weights oppose each other.
Yes i think your correct, the weghts oppose each other as the string is rolled on the other way on one of the drums. They oscilate when one is pulled.

doktorwho said:
Yes i think your correct, the weghts oppose each other as the string is rolled on the other way on one of the drums. They oscilate when one is pulled.
That suggests the axis is the horizontal bar, but in that case I see no reason for oscillations. If you set it rotating around that bar then it should just keep going at the same rate. All the forces balance.
It looks like there must be some oscillation about an axis normal to the page, probably through the centre of the circle (disc, cylinder, sphere?) or through its highest or lowest point. Depends partly on whether the horizontal bar is is just resting on the circle or fixed to it. Since we are given the mass of it, I guess it is about the centre.

Looking at the first three equations, it seems that the discs at the side are rotating about their centres, so the horizontal bar is the axis. The only way I can then make sense of the Ip term is to say that the central circle has been drawn wrongly. It should be another disc viewed side on..
Summing these as the total moment of inertia about that axis is also wrong. Each suspended mass should contribute mR2.

Is there no text with this diagram?

haruspex said:
I see no reason for oscillations.
... there is if we take the central circle as a body rigidly attached to the bar, so it swings like a pendulum.

Continuing that thought...
If the circle indeed is a disc as shown, swinging under the axis, its moment of inertia is mR2+mR2/4.

Related to Help understanding torques and moments

What is the difference between torque and moment?

Torque and moment are often used interchangeably, but they refer to different concepts. Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis, while moment is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In other words, torque is a vector quantity, while moment is a scalar quantity.

How do I calculate torque and moment?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied to the object and the distance between the point of rotation and where the force is applied. The formula is torque = force x distance. To calculate moment, you need to know the force applied to the object, the distance between the point of rotation and where the force is applied, and the angle between the force and the object. The formula is moment = force x distance x sin(angle).

What is the unit of measurement for torque and moment?

Torque is typically measured in newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). Moment is also measured in newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb), but it can also be measured in newton-meters per degree (Nm/°) or foot-pounds per degree (ft-lb/°) when considering the angle between the force and the object.

How does torque and moment affect rotational motion?

Torque and moment play a crucial role in rotational motion. When a force is applied to an object, it creates a torque that causes the object to rotate. The magnitude and direction of the torque determine the speed and direction of the rotational motion. Similarly, moment affects the rotational motion by determining the amount of force needed to cause a certain amount of rotation.

What are some real-world applications of torque and moment?

Torque and moment are important concepts in many fields, including physics, engineering, and mechanics. They are used in designing machines, vehicles, and structures that involve rotational motion, such as car engines, bicycles, and cranes. They are also important in understanding the stability and balance of objects, such as in sports equipment or building structures.