Help verify this question about average acceleration?

In summary, the average acceleration of a car traveling in a straight line with a velocity of 5.51 m/s at one instant and a velocity of 8.09 m/s after 7.36 s is 0.350 m/s^2. This can be calculated using the formula a = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1), where v1 is the initial velocity, v2 is the final velocity, and t1 and t2 are the initial and final times, respectively. The start time can be considered as t=0 and the time interval can be denoted as delta_t=7.36s.
iamjohnny56

Homework Statement

A car traveling in a straight line has a velocity of 5.51 m/s at some instant. After 7.36 s, its velocity is 8.09 m/s.
What is its average acceleration in this time interval?
Answer in units of m/s^2.

Homework Equations

avg. acceleration = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1)

The Attempt at a Solution

(8.09 m/s) - (5.51 m/s) / (7.36 s - 0 s)
= .350 m/s^2

---------------

The only thing I'm not sure about is the "0s" used above: is that the right interval? I'm confused if I'm approaching this right, so could anyone help me please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks perfect to me. Think of it as a = Δv/Δt, where the Δt is the time interval during which the velocity changes.

iamjohnny56 said:

Homework Statement

A car traveling in a straight line has a velocity of 5.51 m/s at some instant. After 7.36 s, its velocity is 8.09 m/s.
What is its average acceleration in this time interval?
Answer in units of m/s^2.

Homework Equations

avg. acceleration = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1)

The Attempt at a Solution

(8.09 m/s) - (5.51 m/s) / (7.36 s - 0 s)
= .350 m/s^2

---------------

The only thing I'm not sure about is the "0s" used above: is that the right interval? I'm confused if I'm approaching this right, so could anyone help me please?

Thanks!

Yes, it's fine to call the start time t=0. You could also just call the denominator delta_t=7.36s.

Ok, thank you guys! It does make more sense to think of it as Δv/Δt, so thank you!

Oh, man. Doc beat me to it again. Sigh.

FAQ: Help verify this question about average acceleration?

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is a measure of the change in velocity over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for that change to occur.

How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is measured at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives a general idea of how an object's velocity is changing, while instantaneous acceleration gives the exact acceleration at a particular point in time.

What are some common units for measuring average acceleration?

The most common units for measuring average acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2) and feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

Can average acceleration be negative?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down or accelerating in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

How is average acceleration related to Newton's second law of motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger net force will result in a larger average acceleration, and a larger mass will result in a smaller average acceleration.