Help visualising this triangle

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the triangle ABC is impossible to create without introducing a new line, because the lines A, B, and C all have only one endpoint. The vectors \vec OM and \vec OP are not equal because \vec OM points towards the origin O while \vec OP points away from the origin. Adding the vectors together does not change the result.
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

I think this must be really easy but I am not getting a visual for this triangle description.

Let ABC be a triangle with [itex]\UparrowOA[/itex]=a and [itex]/UparrowOB[/itex]=b and [itex]/UparrowOC[/itex] = c
Where O is the origin .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How can I have a triangle ABC where all A,B,C are sides coming from O

The way I'm looking at this is I have a point O, where the lines A,B,C start from ie, A,B,C only have one available endpoint.

So how can these lines make a triangle without introducing a new line??

Clearly, I am imagining things wrong here, I tried drawing it but it still didn't work. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
See attachment.

ehild

Attachments

• vectriangle.JPG
    vectriangle.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 352
ehild said:
see attachment.

Ehild

thank you sir!

ehild said:
See attachment.

ehild

Hmm I have a question related to this triangle and it asks

i) If M is the midpoint of the line segment AB and P is the midpoint of the line segment CB express the vectors [itex]\vec OM[/itex] and [itex]\vec OP[/itex] in terms of a,b, and c.

ii) Show that [itex]\vec MP[/itex] is parallel to [itex]\vec AC[/itex] and has half its length.

Ok for part i) the answer is 1/2(b-a), 1/2(b-c), but to me it should be 1/2(b+a), 1/2(b+c)... as if you were to minus a or c does that not imply that you 'attach a/c to the end of vector b or in this case 1/2b and 1/2 (c,a)...
I think the difficulty I am having is understanding the direction in the vector, how do I know which way it is 'pointing' so to speak??

in this situation what would the addition of the vectors look like?

Thanks!

Last edited:
charmedbeauty said:
Hmm I have a question related to this triangle and it asks

i) If M is the midpoint of the line segment AB and P is the midpoint of the line segment CB express the vectors [itex]\vec OM[/itex] and [itex]\vec OP[/itex] in terms of a,b, and c.

ii) Show that [itex]\vec MP[/itex] is parallel to [itex]\vec AC[/itex] and has half its length.

Ok for part i) the answer is 1/2(b-a), 1/2(b-c), but to me it should be 1/2(b+a), 1/2(b+c)... as if you were to minus a or c does that not imply that you 'attach a/c to the end of vector b or in this case 1/2b and 1/2 (c,a)...
I think the difficulty I am having is understanding the direction in the vector, how do I know which way it is 'pointing' so to speak??

in this situation what would the addition of the vectors look like?

Thanks!

If your answer is that [itex]\vec{OM} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex](a + b) and that [itex]\vec{OP} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex](b + c),

then you are, in fact, right (and the book is wrong). a, b and c are position vectors - which means they define the positions of points A, B and C respectively with respect to a common origin O. By convention, they *always* point outward from the origin O toward the terminal point. So a = [itex]\vec{OA}[/itex], etc.

Curious3141 said:
If your answer is that [itex]\vec OM = \frac{1}{2}[/itex](a + b) and that [itex]\vec OP = \frac{1}{2}[/itex](b + c),

then you are, in fact, right (and the book is wrong). a, b and c are position vectors - which means they define the positions of points A, B and C respectively with respect to a common origin O. By convention, they *always* point outward from the origin O toward the terminal point. So a = [itex]\vec OA[/itex], etc.

OK just wanted to clear that up yeah in the book the have 1/2(b-a),1/2(b-c)... thanks for the quick reply! Keep it ℝeal!

Related to Help visualising this triangle

1. What is the purpose of visualizing a triangle?

The purpose of visualizing a triangle is to gain a better understanding of its properties and relationships between its sides and angles. It can also help with problem solving and identifying patterns within the triangle.

2. How can I visualize a triangle?

There are various methods for visualizing a triangle, such as drawing it on paper, using a geometry software, or even physically creating a triangle using objects. Choose the method that works best for you.

3. What are some important properties of a triangle to focus on when visualizing?

Some important properties to focus on when visualizing a triangle are its angles, side lengths, and type of triangle (e.g. equilateral, scalene, isosceles). It can also be helpful to look at the relationship between the sides and angles, such as the Pythagorean theorem.

4. Are there any common mistakes made when visualizing a triangle?

One common mistake is not accurately measuring or drawing the sides and angles of the triangle. Another mistake is forgetting to consider all the properties of the triangle, such as its angles, when visualizing. It's important to be precise and thorough when visualizing a triangle.

5. How can visualizing a triangle help with problem solving?

Visualizing a triangle can help with problem solving by allowing you to see and understand the relationships between its components. This can make it easier to identify patterns and find a solution to the problem at hand.