Help visualizing E-field between moving magnets

In summary, the changing B field should induce an electric field gradient in the perpendicular direction. However, it is unclear what this would look like and what happens when the magnets stop and reverse direction. Additionally, if the magnets are turned at 90 degrees relative to their motion, the E field doubles.
ArchieDave
I'm doing my best at learning electricity & magnetism for the first time and I could use some help. Let's say I have two horizontal bar magnets moving horizontally towards each other at constant velocity. The changing B field should induce an electric field gradient in the perpendicular direction, but I can't quite figure out what this would look like. And what happens when the magnets stop and reverse direction?

to make things more complicated, what if I turn the magnets at 90 degrees relative to their motion. Does this double the E field? Any help (or references to go to) is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To figure this out, I think we'd have to know how the N and S poles of the two magnets are oriented relative to each other. As we push the two magnets together, are they repelling or attracting each other?

I'm actually curious about both cases but let's just say they are attracting each other.

For visualizing, we can start by drawing (in 2-D) the magnetic field between two attracing magnets. (e.g. as show in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_between_magnets). Do this in one position and another position where they are a little closer.

I don't know how much math you want to use in this. One could develop the equations for the fields and then plot a representation.

ArchieDave said:
I'm doing my best at learning electricity & magnetism for the first time and I could use some help. Let's say I have two horizontal bar magnets moving horizontally towards each other at constant velocity.
The easiest way to do this will be to write down the field for the magnet at rest and then use the Lorentz transform to calculate the field for the moving magnet.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks for the direction. I'm wanting to do some example problems and calculations to get a feel for the magnitudes of the fields relative to a source I'm familiar with. What got me interested in this was an experiment with a generator with no load connected. It seems to me that if dB/dt was large enough the resulting electric field could cause electrical breakdown in the motor. Does this happen? My thought was to check this myself by seeing what what value of B or what velocity would be needed to cause kV level fields. Does this make sense?

FAQ: Help visualizing E-field between moving magnets

1. How does the E-field change between two moving magnets?

The E-field between two moving magnets changes depending on the distance between them and the velocity of the magnets. As the magnets move closer together, the E-field will increase, and as they move farther apart, the E-field will decrease. The E-field will also change direction depending on the direction of motion of the magnets.

2. What is the direction of the E-field between moving magnets?

The direction of the E-field between moving magnets is perpendicular to the direction of motion of the magnets. This means that if the magnets are moving horizontally, the E-field will be vertical, and if the magnets are moving vertically, the E-field will be horizontal.

3. How can I visualize the E-field between moving magnets?

One way to visualize the E-field between moving magnets is by using a simulation software or app. These tools allow you to input the distance and velocity of the magnets and then visualize the changing E-field in real-time. You can also use magnetic field viewing films or iron filings to physically see the E-field lines between the magnets.

4. How does the E-field between moving magnets affect nearby objects?

The changing E-field between moving magnets can induce a current in nearby conductive objects. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many technologies, such as generators and transformers. The strength of the induced current depends on the strength of the E-field and the distance between the objects.

5. How can I calculate the strength of the E-field between moving magnets?

The strength of the E-field between moving magnets can be calculated using the formula E = (B x v) x sin(theta), where E is the electric field strength, B is the magnetic field strength, v is the velocity of the magnets, and theta is the angle between the direction of motion and the direction of the E-field. This formula can be derived from the Lorentz force equation, which describes the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field.