Help w/ physics gre problem: radiation spectra

In summary, the correct answer for which statement about radiation spectra is NOT correct is a. Lines in the infrared, visible, and ultraviolet regions of the spectrum do not primarily reveal the nuclear structure of the sample, as they are due to emission from electrons and not the nucleus. The other statements about radiation spectra are all true, including b. which states that wavelengths identified in an absorption spectrum are also present in an emission spectrum. This is because atoms will absorb and emit light at specific wavelengths based on their electronic structure. Additionally, absorption spectra can be used to identify elements in distant stars, spectral analysis can determine the composition of galactic dust, and band spectra are due to molecular transitions.
yxgao
64. Electromagnetic radiation provides a means to probe aspects of the physical universe. Which of the following statements regarding radiation spectra is NOT correct?

a. lines in the infaret, visible, and ultraviolet regions of the spectrum reveal primarily the nuclear structure of the sample.
b. the wavelengths identified in an absorption spectrum of an element are among those in its emission spectrum.
c. absorption spectra can be used to determine which elements are present in distant stars.
d. spectral analysis can be used to identify the composition of galactic dust.
e. band spectra are due to molecules.

The answer is a. This makes sense to me, but I'm not sure exactly why it must be the correct answer, and the others answers are false. Can someone explain each one in some detail?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yxgao said:
This makes sense to me, but I'm not sure exactly why it must be right, and the others are false.

According to the question, if a is the answer then it must be false and the others are true.

Nylex said:
According to the question, if a is the answer then it must be false and the others are true.

Yes,Nylex is right,answer a) is the false one.According to the shell model of the nucleus,nucleons are disposed in energy levels,similar to electrons in the entire atom,but the main difference is that the gaps between successive energy levels is huge,in the order of MeV,so that should take the emission/absorbtion spectrum to the lower (wavelength) X rays and definitely gamma.

Daniel.

PS.And beside,all of the other answers are true... :-p

The key to why answer 'a' is wrong is found in " infared, visible, and ultraviolet regions of the spectrum" and "nuclear structure ".

The electromagnetic spectrum in this range is due to emission from 'atoms', or more specifically the change of state of 'electrons', which orbit the nucleus. They tell nothing of the nuclear structure.

b. is true - An atom will absorb light that is characteristic of its emission spectrum.

c. is true - since b is true.

d. is true - follows from 'c' and 'b'.

e. is true - band spectra
The combination of many different spectral lines resulting from vibrational, rotational and electronic transitions. Unresolved band spectra may appear as a spectral continuum. (from IIUPAC Compendium of Chemical Terminology)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys! I suppose that this was a rather simple question, looking back on it.

FAQ: Help w/ physics gre problem: radiation spectra

1. What is a radiation spectrum?

A radiation spectrum is a graphical representation of the intensity of radiation emitted by a source as a function of the wavelength or frequency of the radiation.

2. How is a radiation spectrum measured?

A radiation spectrum is typically measured using a spectrometer, which separates the different wavelengths or frequencies of radiation and measures their intensity.

3. How is a radiation spectrum related to the physics GRE?

A knowledge of radiation spectra is important for the physics GRE, as questions about this topic may appear in the test. Understanding radiation spectra can also help in solving problems related to atomic and nuclear physics.

4. What are some common types of radiation spectra?

The most common types of radiation spectra are continuous spectra, which are produced by hot, dense objects, and line spectra, which are produced by atoms or molecules in a gas. Other types include band spectra and combination spectra.

5. How can I improve my understanding of radiation spectra for the physics GRE?

The best way to improve your understanding of radiation spectra is through practice. Try solving various problems related to radiation spectra, and review any concepts or equations you may be struggling with. Additionally, studying with a group or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial.

Back