Help Wanted: Lab production of 2,6-Xylidine

• Thread starter JeffEvarts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of producing 2,6-Xylidine in a lab setting and the use of 1,6-dimethyl nitrobenzene in industrial production. The individual is interested in alternative strategies for producing the compound, including removing the methyl group from nitromesitylene and reducing it to an amine. However, they are seeking advice from experienced chemists and the topic is not suitable for discussion on PhysicsForums.
JeffEvarts
Lab production of 2,6-Xylidine appears to be difficult. Apparently either the production or reduction of 1,6-dimethyl nitrobenzene is "hard". Industrial production involves 50+ atmospheres of pressure, which falls far outside of my definition of "lab production".

I'm interested in taking a third approach: start with nitromesitylene.

Strategy 1: Somehow, magically, remove the methyl group that is para to the nitro group, then reduce the nitro group to an amine.
Strategy 2: Reverse the steps above: Reduce, then demethylate the aminomesitylene

My questions for all you "real" chemists out there:
  1. How do I remove the correct methyl group from nitromesitylene?
  2. What challenges do I face in reducing it to an amine? Reducing 4-nitrotoluene acid to 4-aminotoluene isn't too difficult, I hear. I assume the additional methyl groups are the cause of any difficulty?
Thank you in advance - Any help or pointers gratefully accepted
-Jeff Evarts

Chemistry news on Phys.org
As this molecule is a precursor to lidocaine, we prefer not discussing its synthesis on PhysicsForums.

For more details, our guidelines concerning chemical activities can be found here.

Thread closed.

Likes JeffEvarts

Related to Help Wanted: Lab production of 2,6-Xylidine

1. What is the purpose of producing 2,6-Xylidine in a lab?

The purpose of producing 2,6-Xylidine in a lab is to obtain a high-purity sample of this chemical compound for use in various industries. 2,6-Xylidine is commonly used as a chemical intermediate in the production of dyes, pesticides, and pharmaceuticals.

2. What methods are used to produce 2,6-Xylidine in a lab?

The production of 2,6-Xylidine in a lab typically involves a multi-step process using various organic synthesis techniques. This may include the use of starting materials, reagents, and catalysts, as well as purification and isolation methods to obtain a pure sample of 2,6-Xylidine.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when working with 2,6-Xylidine in a lab?

2,6-Xylidine is a hazardous substance and should be handled with caution in a lab setting. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), such as gloves and goggles, and to work in a well-ventilated area. In case of accidental exposure, follow the appropriate protocols for handling and disposing of the chemical.

4. How is the purity of 2,6-Xylidine determined in lab production?

The purity of 2,6-Xylidine can be determined using various analytical techniques, such as gas chromatography or high-performance liquid chromatography. These methods can separate and quantify the individual components in a sample, allowing for the determination of the purity of 2,6-Xylidine.

5. What are the potential uses of 2,6-Xylidine in industry?

2,6-Xylidine has a wide range of applications in various industries. It is commonly used as a building block in the synthesis of dyes, pesticides, and pharmaceuticals. It can also be used as an intermediate in the production of other chemicals, such as rubber antioxidants and photographic developers.