Help with 2D Motion: Find Plane's Direction in a 95km/h Wind

In summary, the plane should head north of east at a greater angle than 35 degrees to compensate for the wind.
FossilFew
I'm looking for a little help on this one. I've been looking at it for hours.

An airplane whose air speed is 620km/h is supposed to fly in a straight path 35.0 degrees north to east. But a steady 95 km/h wind is blowing from the north. In what direction should the plane head?

I know that 95 km/h is the y value. I suspected that 620 was the resultant (not sure on this) and that the angle was 35 degrees. Looking at it I know that the angle must be greater than 35 degrees since there is a force of 95 km/h bearing down on the plane.

My thought : use a^2 + b^2 = c^2 solve for b and calculate the angle using tan-1(95/613)= 8.8

Using common sense I know that 8.8 degrees isn't right. The answer is 42.2 North of East. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the plane is supposed to be heading 35 degrees north of east... but there is a wind blowing from the north (ie, it is blowing south), then the plane will have to fly at a greater than 35 degree north of east angle to compensate.

The point is, if you draw these vectors carefully, you don't have a right triangle, and can't use that formula. Make your own right triangles to solve the problem.

So if I draw two vectors:

vector 1

y= 620 sin 35 = 507.9
x= 620 cos 35 = 355.6

X Y
355.6 507.9
0 -95

355.6 412.9

Determine theta by using tan-1? Am I any closer to understanding it? I get 49 degrees and that isn't correct.

I think the 95 should be positive. I'm close with tan-1(451/508)= 41.6 degrees N of E (but it's still not 42.2 degrees N of E)

The -95 is negative when you are writing the vector for the wind. However, when finding the length of that side of the triangle it is positive. Does it make sense that it would be treated that way?

Ok. I now understand that it should in should be positive. I was contradicting my initial thought. It's two vectors. Thanks for the hints.

Does my approach look correct so far?

Thanks for you help too!

Related to Help with 2D Motion: Find Plane's Direction in a 95km/h Wind

1. How do I find the direction of a plane in a 95km/h wind?

The direction of a plane in a 95km/h wind can be found by using vector addition. First, determine the velocity of the plane in still air. Then, add the velocity of the wind to the plane's velocity using vector addition. The resulting vector will be the direction of the plane in the 95km/h wind.

2. What is vector addition and how does it relate to finding the direction of a plane in a 95km/h wind?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation used to combine two or more vectors into a single vector. In this case, we are using vector addition to combine the velocity of the plane and the velocity of the wind to find the resulting direction of the plane in the 95km/h wind.

3. Can I use trigonometry to find the direction of the plane in a 95km/h wind?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to find the direction of the plane in a 95km/h wind. This can be done by breaking down the velocity vectors into their x and y components and using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to find the resulting direction.

4. How does the speed and direction of the wind affect the plane's direction in a 95km/h wind?

The speed and direction of the wind will directly affect the plane's direction in a 95km/h wind. A stronger wind will have a greater influence on the plane's direction, while a wind blowing in a different direction than the plane's initial direction will cause the plane to change its course.

5. Are there any tools or formulas that can help me calculate the direction of a plane in a 95km/h wind?

Yes, there are several tools and formulas that can help you calculate the direction of a plane in a 95km/h wind. Some examples include the Pythagorean theorem, trigonometric functions, and vector addition. Additionally, there are online calculators and software programs available for this specific calculation.