Help with 3-d plot in Sigmaplot

• Thread starter Barny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot
In summary: The ExpertIn summary, the speaker is struggling with creating 3-D plots in SigmaPlot for their experiment on surface plasmons. They are seeking assistance and guidance from others who are more knowledgeable with the software. The expert offers steps and tips for creating 3-D plots in SigmaPlot and suggests reaching out to the support team for further help if needed.
Barny
Hi guys,

The Prof. I'm doing my project under has asked me to come up with some 3-d plots of our experiement in sigma plot and I am, to put it politely - struggling.

I'm investigating surface plasmons, and our experiment takes a spectrum from 190nm to 1000nm, and we do this at multiple points across the reflected beam.

Therefore I have photon counts at the same wavelengths but different positions and want to put all this information in a 3-d plot.

However I'm completely green to Sigmaplot, and as much as its not rocket science, if you guys could help me work it out any quicker it would be greatley appreciated.

Kind regards,

Barny

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Barny,

I understand that you are struggling with creating 3-D plots in SigmaPlot for your experiment on surface plasmons. I would be happy to offer some guidance and suggestions to help you out.

Firstly, it's important to make sure that your data is in the correct format for creating 3-D plots. Your data should be arranged in a table with three columns - one for the x-axis values, one for the y-axis values, and one for the z-axis values. The x and y values should represent the position of the measurements, and the z values should represent the photon counts at those positions.

Once your data is properly formatted, you can follow these steps to create a 3-D plot in SigmaPlot:

1. Open SigmaPlot and click on the 3D Graphs tab.
2. Select the type of 3-D plot you would like to create from the options provided (e.g. scatter plot, surface plot).
3. Click on the Data tab and select your data table from the drop-down menu.
4. In the X, Y, and Z columns, select the appropriate columns from your data table.
5. Click on the Style tab to customize the appearance of your plot (e.g. color, axis labels).
6. Click on the Format tab to make any additional adjustments to the plot (e.g. scaling, gridlines).
7. Once you are satisfied with your plot, you can save it by clicking on the File tab and selecting Save As.

I hope these steps help you create your 3-D plot successfully. If you continue to have trouble, I would recommend reaching out to the SigmaPlot support team for further assistance. Good luck with your project!

Hi Barny,

I can definitely understand your struggle with creating 3-d plots in Sigmaplot, especially if you are new to the software. Here are some tips that may help you:

1. Start by organizing your data in a table format. This will make it easier to input your data into Sigmaplot and create your plot.

2. In Sigmaplot, go to the "Graph" menu and select "3D Scatter/Line/Bar" to create a new 3-d plot.

3. In the "Data" tab, select the option to import data and choose the table format you have organized your data in.

4. In the "Graph Properties" tab, you can customize your plot by selecting the type of plot (scatter, line, bar), the axes, and the plot style.

5. To add the multiple points across the reflected beam, you can use the "Add" button under the "Data" tab to add additional columns of data.

6. You can also use the "Data" tab to add labels, titles, and legends to your plot.

7. Once you have all your data and settings in place, you can use the "Preview" button to see a preview of your plot before finalizing it.

I hope these tips help you create your 3-d plot in Sigmaplot. If you continue to have trouble, I suggest reaching out to your professor or a Sigmaplot expert for further assistance. Good luck with your project!

FAQ: Help with 3-d plot in Sigmaplot

1. How do I create a 3-d plot in Sigmaplot?

To create a 3-d plot in Sigmaplot, first open your data file and select the variables you want to plot. Then, go to the "Graph" menu and select "3D Scatter/Line." This will open the 3D plot dialog box where you can customize your plot.

2. Can I change the perspective of my 3-d plot in Sigmaplot?

Yes, you can change the perspective of your 3-d plot in Sigmaplot by adjusting the rotation, tilt, and zoom settings in the 3D plot dialog box. You can also change the viewing angle by holding down the mouse button and dragging the plot.

3. How do I add a title and axis labels to my 3-d plot in Sigmaplot?

To add a title and axis labels to your 3-d plot in Sigmaplot, go to the "Graph" menu and select "Graph Properties." In the "Labels" tab, you can enter a title and labels for the x, y, and z axes. You can also change the font, size, and position of these labels.

4. Is it possible to add a legend to my 3-d plot in Sigmaplot?

Yes, you can add a legend to your 3-d plot in Sigmaplot by going to the "Graph" menu and selecting "Graph Properties." In the "Legend" tab, you can customize the legend's position, font, and background color. You can also choose which variables to include in the legend.

5. How can I export my 3-d plot from Sigmaplot as an image file?

To export your 3-d plot from Sigmaplot as an image file, click on the plot to select it and then go to the "Edit" menu and select "Copy as Picture." This will allow you to save your plot as a .png, .jpg, or .bmp file. You can also use the "Export Graph" option in the "File" menu to save your plot in various image formats.