Help with 3 proofs (integers/diophantine equations)

• Thread starter firefly767
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, Jarle demonstrates that the only case in a successive series of integers where the highest power always occurs only once is for 2^r.
firefly767
this might be answered already, but i didnt find a detailed proof... so here it goes:

1. an integer n is perfect if the sum of its divisors including 1 and itself is 2n. show that if 2^p-1 is a prime number, then n=2^(p-1) (2^p -1) is perfect.

2. show that 1+ 1/2 + 1/3 +... +1/n can never be an integer if n>1.

3. if [x] is the greatest integer less than or equal to x, then for which values of n does [sqrt n] divide n?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What are the divisors of [tex]n = 2^{p-1}(2^p-1)[/tex]? Remember that 2^p-1 is a prime number, so the possibilities are easy to spot. Now sum them up.

2. Hm, there are probably easier ways to do this, but my suggestion is to look at the largest prime factor among 1,2,3,...,n. By Bertrands postulate it only occurs once. See what you can do with that. Hint: Multiply both sides with n!.

3. Write n = k^2 + r, where k^2 is the largest square less than or equal to n. What is [tex]\lfloor \sqrt{n} \rfloor[/tex]? How many possibilities are there for r? Note that k^2+2k+1=(k+1)^2+0, so r < 2k+1.

Last edited:
Jarle said:
1. What are the divisors of [tex]n = 2^{p-1}(2^p-1)[/tex]? Remember that 2^p-1 is a prime number, so the possibilities are easy to spot. Now sum them up.

For a "demonstration" of what Jarle is saying here, see the following thread...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=448993

And also note that 2^{p-1}(2^p-1) follows the form n*(2n -1) which is another way of phrasing the formula for an odd-number indexed triangular number (e.g. 5 * 9 = 45 = T_9; 16 * 31 = 496 = T_31), otherwise referred to as a "hexagonal" number.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips guys!

for Q.1 i have arrived at the result of proving that 2^0+2^1+2^3+2^...2^(p-1) = 2^p - 1 i tried couple numbers and it is true... but how do i go about doing that? : <

As you know 2^k for k < p are factors. What about 2^k(2^p-1) ? Can there be more?

EDIT: Or did you mean that you have showed the result given that 2^0+2^1+...+2^(p-1) = 2^p-1? In that case note that this is a geometric series for which there is a well-known formula.

Last edited:
(2) Is a standard number theory problem. The usual approach is to look at powers of 2, and use n!.

Last edited:
What we have here for 2) is the form: [tex]\sum{\frac{\frac {N!}{n_i}}{N!}}}[/tex], where we both multiply and divide by N!.

Now it is an interesting and seldom mention property of 2, that is is the only case in a successive series of integers, where the highest power always occurs only once. For example, if 2^n occurs in this series, where is the next such case in the set 2^n+x? Well, x has to go to 2^n, but in that case, we have 2^n+2^n = 2^(n+1), so that the next case of 2^n comes at 2^(n+1)+2^n, but then we have already found a higher power!

So in the set of integers from 1 to N, there is one case of 2^r, which is the highest power of 2 in the term 1/n(i). Say N! has p cases of power of 2, then 2^r divides out in N! at that point, to leave 2^(p-r) in the numerator at that term, HOWEVER, every other term contains 2 to a higher power, so once 2^(p-r) is factored out of all the numerator, IT LEAVES A SINGLE TERM THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN 2.

This power of 2 can be divided out by the denominator, N!, leaving an even term contain 2^r, and thus the numerator is odd and the denominator is even, so it cannot be an integer!

Last edited:

Related to Help with 3 proofs (integers/diophantine equations)

1. What is a Diophantine equation?

A Diophantine equation is a type of equation in which only integer solutions are allowed. It is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Diophantus who first studied these types of equations.

2. What is the goal of solving Diophantine equations?

The goal of solving Diophantine equations is to find all possible integer solutions that satisfy the given equation. This can be used in various mathematical and scientific fields such as number theory, cryptography, and physics.

3. What is the process of solving Diophantine equations?

The process of solving Diophantine equations involves using various mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, factoring, and modular arithmetic. It also requires a thorough understanding of number theory and mathematical logic.

4. Can all Diophantine equations be solved?

No, not all Diophantine equations can be solved. Some equations have infinite solutions, while others have no solutions. There are also equations that have a finite number of solutions, which can be found through various methods.

5. How can Diophantine equations be applied in real life?

Diophantine equations have various applications in real life, such as in cryptography to create secure codes, in engineering to design efficient structures, and in physics to describe the behavior of waves and particles. They can also be used in the field of economics to model supply and demand relationships.