Help with a concrete question about the Franck-Hertz experiment

In summary, the minimums of the graphic U_1 (accelerating voltage) vs I_a (collector intensity) increase because of the relationship between the accelerating voltage and the velocity of electrons emitted in the Franck-Hertz experiment. The electrons' emitting speeds form a Maxwell distribution, with some having the proper energy to be absorbed and others not. This creates valleys and peaks on the graph, with the slopes going upwards between a valley and its nearest peak. The larger the accelerating voltage, the larger the intensity at both the valleys and peaks, resulting in an overall increase in the minimums.
andreitta
I'm studying the Franck-Hertz experiment for my Quantum Physics class, and I don't see why the minimums for the graphic U_1 (accelerating voltage) vs I_a (collector intensity) increase. It seems logical, but I can't find a proper explanation.

If anyone could help me it would be great :)

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello! I'd like to give some hints in details.

1. The electric current $I$ at the collector is (micro mechanism):

I = n s e v

Here, $n$ is a constant relatively (depends on the material and temperature of the negative emitter), $e$ the constant of charge of an electron, $S$ a constant relatively (the cross section of the tube). Hence

I = I(v)

where $v$ is the independent variable, which is determined by the accelerating voltage in the tube, and the small decelerating voltage(U_2) near the destination collector.

2. The magnitudes of velocity of the electrons initially emitted are not the same, the electrons' emitting speeds form a Maxwell distribution, with one peak (most probably values). Some has the very speed (energy-eV) to be absorbed, while some not.

Now, let's turn to the $U_1$ vs $I_a$ graph.

1. Between a valley (on the left with smaller U_1) and a nearest peak on its right, the slope goes upwards and $I_a$ increases.
Because: Most electrons' speeds (energy) are improper to be absorbed. They keep accelerating. The larger $v$, the larger $I_a$.

2. As to the valleys, where most electrons' speeds are proper and therefore their energy are absorbed, and they could no longer go through the decelerating voltage(U_2) to arrive the collector. However, the minor proportion of the electrons don't suffer from the absorbing of kinematic energy, and could cross the decelerating voltage(U_2) to generate $I_a$ in the destination collector. At the valleys, it is this minor electrons, whose motion are not perturbed, that make a difference. Suppose that the proportion is relatively constant (for a not so long interval of U_1 where there are still several valleys and peaks), then $n(minor)$ is constant, then $I_a(valley)$ depends on $v(valley)$. Just as above, the larger $U_1$, the larger $I_a$ at the valleys. So, minimums increase, too.

Related to Help with a concrete question about the Franck-Hertz experiment

1. What is the purpose of the Franck-Hertz experiment?

The Franck-Hertz experiment was designed to demonstrate the quantization of energy levels in atoms. It was one of the first experiments to provide evidence for the existence of discrete energy levels in atoms, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Franck-Hertz experiment work?

The experiment involves passing a beam of electrons through a tube filled with gas at low pressure. The gas molecules in the tube are excited when they collide with the electrons, causing them to emit light. By varying the voltage applied to the tube, the energy of the electrons can be controlled, allowing for the observation of discrete energy levels in the gas atoms.

3. What are the key results of the Franck-Hertz experiment?

The key results of the experiment include the observation of peaks in the emitted light at specific voltages, indicating the existence of quantized energy levels in the gas atoms. The spacing between these peaks is equal to the energy difference between the energy levels in the atoms.

4. What is the significance of the Franck-Hertz experiment?

The Franck-Hertz experiment provided strong evidence for the quantization of energy levels in atoms, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also helped to confirm the wave-like behavior of particles, as the peaks in the emitted light were a result of the interference of the electrons passing through the gas molecules.

5. How is the Franck-Hertz experiment relevant today?

The Franck-Hertz experiment is still relevant today as it provided crucial evidence for the existence of quantized energy levels in atoms, which is a key concept in understanding many physical phenomena. It also serves as a basis for more advanced experiments in quantum mechanics and continues to be studied and built upon by scientists and researchers around the world.