Help with Adhesives: Bond Polycarbonate to Acetate

• Thread starter CaptainQuaser
  • Start date
In summary: I have not tried cyanoacrylate, but I have tried a few other adhesives. Silicone is not a good option because it is too thick and would not be transparent to ultrasonic frequencies. Weld-On #3 and #4 are good candidates because they are thin and transparent to ultrasonic frequencies.
CaptainQuaser
Hi

I need to find a strong bonding waterproof adhesive to attach polycarbonate to acetate. It must be relatively thin, and strong.

Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried silicone? I'm not sure how well it would adhere to those materials, but it's pretty universal. If it does work, you might want to use the 'bathroom repair' sort. It has an anti-fungal agent in it for use in damp environments.

Silicone is used for most of the cell, but is far too thick and week for this purpose. I am at home at the moment, but heading to the lab in a minute and I will post the glue tests I have tried, none have been particularly successful at the moment. Thickness is important, and it must be transparent to ultrasonic frequencies, and it must be strong enough not to allow buckling or vibrational modes into an acetate window.

This site might be of some help to you: http://www.tapplastics.com/info/adhesives.php?"
I used Weld-On #'s 3 & 4 fairly extensively in a couple of different occupations. They're awesome on acrylic, but I don't know about other materials. You just put the pieces together the way that you want and squirt it into the joint with a syringe. It diffuses along the whole contact area by capillary action--very thin and completely invisible. Despite what it says on that site about setting in 30-60 minutes, we found that it was ready to handle within 1-2 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried cyanoacrylate?

I have done glue tests on:
Loctite Stick,n Seal
Loctite 401
Marine Goop
Lepage 5
Gorilla Glue

i have two new ones being ordered in for tests
at the moment
Lepage 5 and Loctite 401 are the strongest candidates

Clarity is also important, and Loctite 401 seems to be the clearer than Lepage 5 which clouds pretty bad.

So i used Loctite 401 on one of the cell walls, holds tight, but it dries a little to fast for my liking, making it difficult to work with.

Maybe this combination light cure instant adhesive will do the trick. Just apply light when you're ready.

http://www.threebond.co.jp/en/technical/newtechnical/ultravioletrays/newtechnical2.html

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?verityspider=0&layout=4&productline=OEM6020&path=Assembly%20Products|Bonding|Light%20Cure%20Adhesives

Last edited by a moderator:
As if my 'bookmarks' bar wasn't too long already... :rolleyes:
Nice link.

Related to Help with Adhesives: Bond Polycarbonate to Acetate

1. How do I choose the right adhesive for bonding polycarbonate to acetate?

Choosing the right adhesive depends on several factors, including the specific types of polycarbonate and acetate materials, the surface conditions, and the desired strength and durability of the bond. It is best to consult with adhesive manufacturers or conduct thorough testing to determine the most suitable adhesive for your specific application.

2. What surface preparation is necessary before bonding polycarbonate to acetate?

The surface of both materials must be clean, dry, and free of any oils, dust, or contaminants. It is recommended to use a solvent such as isopropyl alcohol to clean the surfaces before applying the adhesive. Additionally, roughening or etching the surface with sandpaper or a chemical etchant can improve the adhesion of some adhesives.

3. How should I apply the adhesive for bonding polycarbonate to acetate?

The application method will vary depending on the type of adhesive used. Some adhesives come in pre-mixed forms, while others require mixing before application. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for the best results. Generally, the adhesive should be evenly applied to one or both surfaces using a brush, roller, or syringe.

4. How long does it take for the adhesive to cure when bonding polycarbonate to acetate?

The curing time will also depend on the type of adhesive used. Some adhesives may take a few minutes to cure, while others may require several hours or even days. Factors like temperature, humidity, and the thickness of the adhesive layer can also affect curing time. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended curing time for the best bond strength.

5. Are there any special precautions I should take when bonding polycarbonate to acetate?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions recommended by the adhesive manufacturer. Some adhesives may emit fumes that can be harmful if inhaled, so it is important to work in a well-ventilated area and wear appropriate protective gear. Additionally, make sure to handle the adhesives carefully and avoid contact with skin or eyes.