Help with an Atwood's Machine problem

• Thread starter jcranford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, The ideal Atwood's machine has a force of static friction of (M+m)a. The machine also has a mass of M and a maximum horizontal force of static friction. The equation for the acceleration of the machine is (1.) 2F-mgμk=MaM.
jcranford

Homework Statement

Consider the ideal Atwood's machine in Figure 4-65. When N washers are transferred from the left side to the right side, the right side descends 47.1cm in 0.40s. Find N.

Homework Equations

a = (m2-m1/m1+m2)g

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly not sure where to start with this one. We did one Atwood example in class and it wasn't anything like this. I'm not sure if that equation is relevant either, it's just the one that was given when we did the example in class.

The first thing I did was convert the given distance and time into an acceleration of m/s2, so I converted the 47.1cm -> .471m / .4s and got 1.17m/s, then divided by .4s again to get 2.94m/s2, which I'm not sure if that's the right way to do that or not. I think I have to solve for the masses, but I'm just really lost without a clue on this one. A push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.Also, if anyone wants to take a look at this one while they're at it. This is what I've done so far.

For (a), I basically found the max force of static friction and said that was the most horizontal force it could have exerted on it for the top block not to slip. (b), I used the net force it gave me to calculate m(a) for 1.5m/s2 and then calculated the force of friction by subtracting the net force of the smaller block from static friction for the smaller block. I'm not really sure that's a legal maneuver. I'm just lost on (c). At first I just used the new force to calculate an acceleration, but then I realized they would have two different accelerations due to this force being greater than the max static friction force. It's probably because it's late but I'm just blanking on what I'm supposed to do next. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm honestly not sure where to start with this one ... I converted the 47.1cm -> .471m / .4s and got 1.17m/s, then divided by .4s again to get 2.94m/s2, which I'm not sure if that's the right way to do that or not
Hint: kinematic equations. You have the distance and the time, and you know it is constant acceleration.
Note:
- if the machine is ideal - what does that say about the friction?
- the initial condition (in the reference figure) has 5 washers on each side for ##m_1=m_2=5m##- what would the acceleration be in this situation?
- can you write an expression for ##m_1## and ##m_2## after ##N## washers have been moved from one side to the other?

Simon Bridge said:
Hint: kinematic equations. You have the distance and the time, and you know it is constant acceleration.
Note:
- if the machine is ideal - what does that say about the friction?
- the initial condition (in the reference figure) has 5 washers on each side for ##m_1=m_2=5m##- what would the acceleration be in this situation?
- can you write an expression for ##m_1## and ##m_2## after ##N## washers have been moved from one side to the other?

Ideal would mean frictionless, correct? Also, that the cables have no mass.

In the initial condition, acceleration would be zero. (5-5)9.8 / (5+5) would be 0/10 and therefore zero. I kind of figured out that with a = 2.94, m1 must equal 3.5 and m2 must equal 6.5. This balances out the equation for acceleration, however I have no method by which I did this. I basically plugged in some numbers and went with it when it added up. I'd love to know what it looks like to solve for this algebraically and how to go about it. I think that's what you're getting at in your third point, but I don't think I'm getting it.

That's good so far - however, I cannot help you f you don't follow the hints (you only addressed two of them):
Simon Bridge said:
Note:
... presumably an ideal machine would have a zero-mass pulley too.

Last edited:
2nd. Question.
a.) F=(M+m)a
ma=mgμs

b) F/2=(M+m)a.

c) (1.) 2F-mgμk=MaM
(2.) mam=mgμk

Related to Help with an Atwood's Machine problem

1. What is an Atwood's Machine?

An Atwood's Machine is a simple mechanical system consisting of two masses connected by a string or pulley. It is used to demonstrate concepts of Newton's laws of motion and can be used to solve various physics problems.

2. How do I set up an Atwood's Machine?

To set up an Atwood's Machine, you will need two masses of different weights, a string or pulley, and a stable support. Connect the two masses with the string or pulley, making sure the string is taut. Then, hang the system from the stable support and make sure it can move freely without any obstructions.

3. How do I calculate the acceleration of an Atwood's Machine?

To calculate the acceleration of an Atwood's Machine, you will need to use the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on each side of the string and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Plug in the values and solve for acceleration.

4. What is the tension in the string of an Atwood's Machine?

The tension in the string of an Atwood's Machine will vary depending on the masses and acceleration of the system. To calculate the tension, you can use the formula T = m1a + m1g, where T is the tension, m1 is the mass on one side of the string, a is the acceleration, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are some common problems that can be solved using an Atwood's Machine?

An Atwood's Machine can be used to solve problems involving inclined planes, free fall, and friction. It can also be used to determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between two surfaces. It is a versatile tool for understanding and solving various physics problems.