Help with an engineering optimization problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a design problem involving a rectangular plate and multiple circles. The objective is to minimize scrap material while considering the dimensions of the plate and the placement of the circles. The constraints involve the desired appearance of the stamp and its relative positions to each other and the edge of the plate.
lilmul123

Homework Statement

The link to the problem is here: http://i.imgur.com/wyOsoSB.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not completely sure about my work so far so please bear with me. My professor is very poor at professing the subject so I'm trying to learn from the book. Please let me know if I'm incorrect at any point.

I have determined that since R1, R2, R3, and R4 are given, they are not part of the design to be minimized. What matters is the length and height of the plate (a and b) and the location of the origin of each circle (so x1,y1 and x2,y2, etc.).

This is where I start to get confused. So the objective function to be minimized would be ab - [ pi(R12 + R22 + R32 + R42 ], correct? Because ideally, we want to have as least amount of scrap as possible? What would be my constraints be?

Physics news on Phys.org
yep. good so far. for the constraints.. just think about what you want the stamp to look like. what constraint does this place on the relative positions of the circles to each other, and to the edge of the rectangular plate?

Related to Help with an engineering optimization problem?

1. What is an engineering optimization problem?

An engineering optimization problem is a type of problem that involves finding the best solution or design for a given engineering system or process. This involves balancing different variables and constraints to achieve the most efficient and effective outcome.

2. What are the steps involved in solving an engineering optimization problem?

The steps involved in solving an engineering optimization problem typically include defining the problem, identifying the objective and constraints, formulating a mathematical model, finding an optimal solution using mathematical techniques, and evaluating the solution to ensure it meets the desired criteria.

3. What are some common optimization techniques used in engineering?

Some common optimization techniques used in engineering include linear programming, dynamic programming, genetic algorithms, simulated annealing, and gradient descent. Each technique has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of engineering problems.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving engineering optimization problems?

Improving skills in solving engineering optimization problems can be done through practice and learning from experienced engineers. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and understanding of various optimization techniques.

5. Are there any software tools available to assist with solving engineering optimization problems?

Yes, there are various software tools available that can assist with solving engineering optimization problems. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Excel Solver. These tools can help with formulating and solving mathematical models, and often have user-friendly interfaces for easier problem-solving.