Help with beginner level physics word problem

In summary: This is due to the weight of the person on the left edge (the person leaning out to the right) plus the person on the right edge (the person leaning in). The person on the bottom row's centre of gravity will be shifted towards the middle.In summary, a 30 person pyramid could be built if the bottom 6 rows were on their hands and knees and the top 3 were standing up. The force of gravity is 9.8 and the equation for weight is W = mg.
ohenryu
1.The semester just started and my teacher has assigned us this question: How high of a tower could you build from the people in this class(30 people)? Include diagram. How much force would be pushing down on one of the base person's legs?

2. Note : Fg = mg

3. Here is my work so far : https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1423753387_e3fafa257d6be865db2e4a070b88de0e

I created a triangular shape(human pyramid) with 7 people on bottom then 6,5,4,3,2,1,1,1 <- the 1's are on each other shoulders. So far I have calculated the approximate height if the bottom 6 rows are on their hands and knees and if the top 3 are standing up.

The next part is what I need help with. How would I start calculating the force pushing down? I assumed the 2nd row pushing down on the guy at the base would be 2 halves (weight distributed evenly) and so on. I also assumed the height and weight would decrease as the tower went up. I know the force of gravity is 9.8 but how would I use that and Fg = mg in this situation?

I hope you can understand this and help me as I am really confused right now D:

Physics news on Phys.org
ohenryu said:
The next part is what I need help with. How would I start calculating the force pushing down? I assumed the 2nd row pushing down on the guy at the base would be 2 halves (weight distributed evenly) and so on. I also assumed the height and weight would decrease as the tower went up. I know the force of gravity is 9.8 but how would I use that and Fg = mg in this situation?

I hope you can understand this and help me as I am really confused right now D:

I don't know where you got the equation Fg = mg.

The weight of a person is calculated using W = mg, where m is the mass of a person in kg, g is the acceleration due to gravity, 9.81 m/s2, and W is the weight in Newtons, the SI unit of force.

For example, if someone has a mass of 50 kg, his weight is 50 * 9.81 = 490.5 Newtons. That's a force of 245.25 Newtons on each leg.

To find out the force acting on each row, add up the mass of all the people standing on the rows above.

Perhaps by Fg you mean Fg, i.e. the force due to gravity?
The equal distribution is not realistic. Think of them as facing you. The left hand person (your left hand) in the row of two has someone standing on her left shoulder. To spread that weight evenly between her own two feet would involve leaning out to her right. Standing normally, that person could spread her own weight evenly, but transmit all the weight from above to the left foot only. You could analyse the torques.
So in the bottom row, there will be more weight in the centre than on the edges.

Related to Help with beginner level physics word problem

1. What is the best way to approach a beginner level physics word problem?

The best way to approach a beginner level physics word problem is to first read through the problem carefully and identify the given information and what needs to be solved. Then, draw a diagram or visualize the problem to better understand it. Next, use relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, double check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. How do I know which equations to use for a physics word problem?

To determine which equations to use for a physics word problem, you must first identify the known and unknown variables. Then, look for equations that involve those variables. It may also be helpful to refer to a formula sheet or textbook for a list of common equations used in physics.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a physics word problem?

If you get stuck on a physics word problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and tackling each part separately. You can also try looking at similar problems or consulting with a classmate or teacher for assistance. Additionally, revisiting relevant equations and principles may help you find a solution.

4. How can I check my answer for a physics word problem?

To check your answer for a physics word problem, you can use dimensional analysis to ensure that the units of your answer are correct. You can also plug your answer back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the given information. Additionally, double checking your calculations and using common sense can help verify your answer.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, practice is key. Make sure to work through a variety of problems and to understand the underlying concepts and principles. Additionally, try breaking down problems into smaller parts and working through them systematically. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in honing your problem-solving skills.