Help with coefficients matrix in spring system

In summary, the problem involves a system consisting of a spring with constant 3k attached to a ceiling and a mass m attached to it, followed by another spring with constant 2k and another mass m attached to it. The task is to find the normal modes and the characteristic system (possibly the characteristic equation). The equations used include dE/dt = 0 and T = 1/2 m x1^2 + 1/2 m (x1 + x2)^2 for kinetic energy and V = 1/2 (3k)x1^2 +1/2 (2k)x2^2 + mg(H - (2x1 + x2)) for potential energy. Lagrangian mechanics and
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The system is a spring with constant 3k hanging from a ceiling with a mass m attached to it, then attached to that mass another spring with constant 2k and another mass m attached to that.
So spring -> mass -> spring ->mass.
Find the normal modes and characteristic system. I'm assuming it should be characteristic equation. Maybe not.

Homework Equations

dE/dt = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have ##T = 1/2 m \dot{x}_1^2 + 1/2 m (\dot{x}_1 + \dot{x}_2)^2##
but the real problem at this point is in V
##V = 1/2 (3k)x_1^2 +1/2 (2k)x_2^2 + mg(H - (2x_1 + x_2))##
I'm not sure how to get gravity into a coefficient matrix to solve this differential equation, since they are only dependent on 1 x term each. So x_1^2 goes in 1,1 and x_2^2 goes in 2,2 and x_1x_2/2 goes in both 1,2 and 2,1. I'm not sure what to do with x_1 and x_2 terms, though. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you meant to have time-derivatives in V.

One thing you can do is a change of variables: Complete the square first, e.g., ##ax^2+bx## becomes ##a(x+\frac{b}{2a})^2+\text{constant}##. Then define new coordinates (##u=x+\frac{b}{2a}##) and rewrite the Lagrangian in terms of them

Yea I'm not sure why I have the dots there. Typos. So you're suggesting Lagrangian mechanics rather than applying conservation of energy?

No, I just guessed you were doing Lagrangian mechanics.

We had a similar problem, on a HW and used ##\frac{d}{dt} [\dot{q}^T A \dot{q} + q^T B q ]= 0## with A and B the coefficient matrices that multiply to the equation. I was assuming that this would be a similar project, but the mgx term is giving me problems when I try to put it in said matrices.

Did you try what I suggested to get rid of the linear terms?

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt

Related to Help with coefficients matrix in spring system

1. What is a coefficients matrix in a spring system?

The coefficients matrix in a spring system is a square matrix that contains the coefficients of the variables in the system of linear equations. It represents the relationships between the variables and is used to solve for the values of the variables.

2. How is a coefficients matrix used in a spring system?

The coefficients matrix is used to set up and solve a system of linear equations that represents the forces and displacements in a spring system. It allows for a more efficient and organized approach to solving complex systems.

3. What are the elements of a coefficients matrix in a spring system?

The elements of a coefficients matrix in a spring system are the coefficients of the variables in the equations. For example, in a system with two variables x and y, the elements could be represented as follows:[ a b ][ c d ] where a, b, c, and d are the coefficients of x and y.

4. How do you determine the dimensions of a coefficients matrix in a spring system?

The dimensions of a coefficients matrix in a spring system are determined by the number of variables and the number of equations in the system. For example, if there are 3 variables and 4 equations, the matrix would be a 4x3 matrix.

5. Can a coefficients matrix in a spring system have non-numeric elements?

No, a coefficients matrix in a spring system must contain only numerical elements. This is because it is used in mathematical operations to solve for the values of the variables. Non-numeric elements would result in errors and incorrect solutions.