Help with curved specimen and mechanical loading.

In summary, the conversation is about research on rib fractures in infants and the use of mechanical testing and finite element analysis on pig ribs to understand their behavior under anterior-posterior loading. The person is seeking suggestions on interpreting their mechanical data, particularly from a perspective of curved beam theory. They also mention their background in anthropology and the differences in rib cages between humans and quadrupeds, as well as the importance of considering the structural differences in bones between infants and adults. They mention using young pigs and keeping the ribs in saline before testing. They are also interested in the forensic and medico-legal aspects of their research. They are looking for suggestions on how to better understand the stresses, strains, deformations, and energy involved in rib fractures.
tom_biomech
Background:
Rib fractures in infants are highly suggestive of child abuse. I am performing mechanical testing and finite element analysis on pig ribs with the aim of characterising the behaviour of ribs under anterior-posterior (from end to end rather from the side) loading.

Help needed:
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to interpret my mechanical data. Perhaps someone has performed mechanical testing on curved specimens before? I have the loads to failure of the rib and rough geometry. I will assume the cross sections are eliptical and the ribs are C-shaped.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I majored in Anthropology and my main area of study was in the physical/forensic side. We learned that human and ape rib cages are shaped much differently than those in quadrupeds, so pig ribs may not be the best analogy to human ribs. The bones in infants are also structurally different than those of adults, and this is true for all mammals. Have you done any research into osteology? You may be able to find some data that you could apply to your analysis. Also, was the bone fresh or had it been allowed to dry out? Dry bone will be more brittle than fresh or "green" bone.

Thank you kindly Skrambles,

Yes indeed, I am using young pigs and obtaining my own input data for FEA (except possions ratio, which I'll assume to be 0.3). I have kept the ribs in saline from dissection until use and the ribs have been stored in the fridge. The forensic and medico-legal side is an aspect we are very interested in.

Currently I am trying to understand my data from a curved beam theory perspective to see if I can better understand the stresses, strains, deformations and energy to fracture. Any suggestions here?

Cheers.

Related to Help with curved specimen and mechanical loading.

What is a curved specimen?

A curved specimen is a material sample that has a curved shape, instead of a traditional flat shape. This is often used in testing materials for their strength and resilience under different types of mechanical loading.

Why is it important to use a curved specimen in testing?

Curved specimens can more accurately represent real-life scenarios, where materials are often subjected to varying degrees of curvature and loading. This allows for a more accurate assessment of the material's performance in practical applications.

What is mechanical loading?

Mechanical loading is the process of applying forces to a material to test its strength, durability, and other mechanical properties. This can include tension, compression, shear, and other types of forces.

What are some common methods of applying mechanical loading to a curved specimen?

Some common methods of applying mechanical loading to a curved specimen include bending, torsion, and compression. These methods can be used in conjunction with each other to simulate real-life loading conditions.

How does testing a curved specimen differ from testing a flat specimen?

Testing a curved specimen requires specialized equipment and techniques, as well as a thorough understanding of the material's behavior under different types of loading. This differs from testing a flat specimen, which may require simpler equipment and techniques.