Help with Deciding Track/Electives?

• Thread starter SamAca1-
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks!I had an Intro to Computer Programming class my third semester. Since I was new to programming it was frustrating at times, but overall it was a decent experience.
SamAca1-
I was hoping that somebody here could help me out deciding what upper division courses to pick for my next two years as an EE (currently a sophomore).

So far I've taken:

EE I (Circuit Analysis)
Intro to Computer Programming
Digital Circuits
Signals, Systems, & Transforms

At junior year my college allows us to split up into 2 different tracks, which are called systems and computers. There are 3 courses in each track.

Systems:
Antennas & Propagation
Electromechanical Systems
Communication Systems

Computer:
Software Design I
Software Design II
Computer Networks

Both tracks take these courses:
Linear Circuits
Digital Signal Processing
Computer Control Systems

I've got a couple spaces for electives and really want to take Acoustics and Music (build your own speakers!) and Electronic Navigation Systems.

I'm not going to be able to dual track (but will still get an EE degree with either track), so which do you guys think is best? I'm really interested in science related subjects like electromagnetics but dread taking communication systems because I'm doing pretty badly in my signals and systems course. Computer Networks/cyber security sounds like a very interesting field as well.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I need Academic Guidance

I'm an EE and have just finished my sophomore year of college and want to know what courses I should take for the next two years. My school offers two different tracks "systems", which covers Electromagnetic/Antenna theory, Communication Systems, and Electromechanical/Power Systems. And "Computer" which has a class over C++, C#, and computer networking.

I get 2 Engineering Electives, so I can pick at least one course from the other track but am planning on taking some more "fun" courses like Electronic navigation.

I also get a math elective and was planning on taking linear algebra. Is it better than discrete math?

Regardless of either track I have to take a course on Control Systems, Linear Circuits, and DSP.

I'm just a bit worried because I really struggled with my Signals and Systems course and really want to make it as an engineer. Thanks!

SamAca1- said:
I'm an EE and have just finished my sophomore year of college and want to know what courses I should take for the next two years. My school offers two different tracks "systems", which covers Electromagnetic/Antenna theory, Communication Systems, and Electromechanical/Power Systems. And "Computer" which has a class over C++, C#, and computer networking.

I get 2 Engineering Electives, so I can pick at least one course from the other track but am planning on taking some more "fun" courses like Electronic navigation.

I also get a math elective and was planning on taking linear algebra. Is it better than discrete math?

Regardless of either track I have to take a course on Control Systems, Linear Circuits, and DSP.

I'm just a bit worried because I really struggled with my Signals and Systems course and really want to make it as an engineer. Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

Have you had any programming classes or experience yet? How did you like it? That should help to determine which track you pursue.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Have you had any programming classes or experience yet? How did you like it? That should help to determine which track you pursue.

I had an Intro to Computer Programming class my third semester. Since I was new to programming it was frustrating at times, but overall it was a decent experience.

Am I limiting myself at all by doing one track or another? That's my main concern...

I would suggest taking a holistic approach to deciding on your track and electives. Consider your interests and strengths, as well as your career goals. If you are interested in science and electromagnetics, the systems track may be a good fit for you. However, if you are also interested in computer networks and cyber security, the computer track may also be a good option. It may also be beneficial to talk to upperclassmen or professors in both tracks to get a better understanding of the coursework and potential career paths. Ultimately, it is important to choose courses that align with your interests and will help you achieve your goals. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself and take courses that may be more difficult, as they can also be very rewarding. Good luck with your decision!

Related to Help with Deciding Track/Electives?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing my track/electives?

When deciding on a track or electives, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, and academic strengths. You should also research the requirements and opportunities for each track/elective and speak with your academic advisor for guidance.

2. How many electives should I take?

The number of electives you should take depends on your program and the specific requirements for your track. Some programs may have a set number of electives while others may allow for more flexibility. It is best to consult your academic advisor for guidance on the recommended number of electives.

3. Can I change my track/electives after I have already started my program?

It is possible to change your track or electives after starting your program, but it may depend on your program's policies and timing. It is best to speak with your academic advisor and/or the department responsible for your program to discuss any potential changes.

4. Will my choice of track/electives affect my career opportunities?

In some cases, your chosen track or electives may have a direct impact on your career opportunities. For example, if you are interested in a specific field or industry, choosing related electives may be beneficial. However, it is important to remember that your track or electives do not define your entire career path and there may be opportunities to gain skills and experience outside of your chosen track.

5. How can I make the most of my chosen track/electives?

To make the most of your track or electives, it is important to actively engage in your coursework, seek out internships or hands-on experiences, and network with professionals in your field. You can also take advantage of any additional resources or opportunities offered by your program, such as workshops, events, or research projects.