Help with definitions of dioxide and oxide

• Thread starter AH020387
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary: There is no inconsistency as what is called an oxide can be one molecule or more depending on the definition used.
AH020387
Here is the definition of oxide I found in a dictionary:
A compound of one oxygen atom combined with another element.

And here is the definition of dioxide that I found in a dictionary:
An oxide containing two atoms of oxygen in each molecule; binoxide.

Now my question/confusion is, according to the above definitions I'm thinking to myself that if an oxide is just ONE compound/molecule, that's composed of an atom of oxygen and another element, then howcome for the definition of dioxide it says, "An oxide containing two atoms of oxygen in EACH molecule"!?

So what's the deal? Does an oxide consist of only one molecule or more?!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Oxide has only a single oxygen atom in one molecule(of the compound), example, ZnO, CaO.

ZnO is one single compound molecule that has one oxygen atom.

A dioxide has two oxygen atoms in one molecule, example, CO2, SiO2 etc.

CO2 - a dioxide, is a molecule, that has two oxygen atoms.

What he said - I'd add that you should go to a technical dictionary for a technical definition.

You are thinking that the definition given for a dioxide kinda implies that an oxide may also refer to a molecule with more than one oxygen.
Wikipedia, for example, concurs with Foundations of College Chemistry, 12th Edition as it's source.

You should be aware that there are inconsistencies in any language use - for instance CO is carbon monoxide and not carbon oxide to emphasize the single oxygen but ZnO is zinc oxide even though a dioxide of zinc ZnO₂ exists... (which can also be called "zinc peroxide").

You'll notice that hydrogen peroxide is H₂O₂ which is properly "dihydrogen dioxide" ... such things occur all the time.

What Infinitum relates is what you should understand where the context does not make it clear that another meaning is intended.

Apart from that - sure: an oxide is a single molecule. The two definition don't contradict each other on this to my reading.

Last edited:
AH020387 said:
Here is the definition of oxide I found in a dictionary:
A compound of one oxygen atom combined with another element.

I don't like this definition, if anything it fits "monoxoide".

In common usage of the word oxide is any compound of oxygen with other element, regardless of the number of atoms. So FeO is an iron oxide, Fe2O3 is an iron oxide and Fe3O4 is an iron oxide as well.

There are ways of making names unambiguous - for example FeO is iron(II) oxide, Fe2O3 is iron(III) oxide and Fe3O4 is iron(II,III) oxide. If memory serves me well at present IUPAC naming would be diiron trioxide and triiron tetraoxide for the latter two oxides, but I am not sure if FeO is properly called monoiron monooxide.

Thank you for reaching out for clarification on the definitions of dioxide and oxide. I can provide a more detailed explanation for you.

First, let's define what an oxide is. An oxide is a compound that contains at least one oxygen atom and one other element. This means that an oxide can have different combinations of atoms, such as one oxygen atom and one carbon atom (carbon monoxide), or two oxygen atoms and one iron atom (iron oxide).

Now, let's focus on dioxide. As the definition states, dioxide is an oxide that contains two oxygen atoms in each molecule. This means that every molecule of dioxide will have two oxygen atoms bonded to another element. For example, carbon dioxide has one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms in each molecule.

To answer your question, an oxide can consist of one molecule or more. For example, carbon monoxide, which is an oxide, only has one molecule (one carbon atom and one oxygen atom). However, iron oxide, which is also an oxide, can have multiple molecules (one iron atom and multiple oxygen atoms).

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the definitions of dioxide and oxide. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I am always happy to provide further clarification and help.

FAQ: Help with definitions of dioxide and oxide

What is the difference between dioxide and oxide?

The main difference between dioxide and oxide is the number of oxygen atoms present in their chemical formulas. Dioxide contains two oxygen atoms while oxide contains only one oxygen atom.

What does the term "dioxide" mean?

The term "dioxide" refers to a compound that contains two oxygen atoms bonded to one or more atoms of another element. This compound is often used to describe gases, such as carbon dioxide, or minerals, such as silicon dioxide.

What does the term "oxide" mean?

The term "oxide" refers to a compound that contains one oxygen atom bonded to one or more atoms of another element. These compounds are found in a variety of forms, such as metal oxides, which are commonly used in industrial processes.

What are some examples of dioxide compounds?

Some common examples of dioxide compounds include carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2), and nitrogen dioxide (NO2). These compounds are important in various chemical reactions and play a role in many natural processes.

How are dioxide and oxide compounds used in everyday life?

Dioxide and oxide compounds have various uses in everyday life. Carbon dioxide is essential for plant photosynthesis and is also used in carbonated beverages. Metal oxides are used in the production of metals, while silicon dioxide is commonly found in glass and computer chips. Sulfur dioxide is used in the production of sulfuric acid, a key component in many industrial processes.

Back