Help with derivative of trigonometric functions

In summary, y' is the derivative of y and has the following properties: when x is replaced with -cosx in the equation, the equation becomes y' = (1+x*tan(x))*(-cosx/sinx). When x is replaced with secx in the equation, the equation becomes y' = (1+x*tan(x))*(secx/cosx).
Splice1108
Find y[itex]^{I}[/itex] (sinxsecx)/1+xtanx The supplied answer is 1/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex]
I got stuck with an extra x on top at the end. Where did I mess up at?
y[itex]^{I}[/itex](sinxsecx)/1+xtanx = [1+xtanx*f[itex]^{I}[/itex](sinxsecx)-sinxsecx*f[itex]^{I}[/itex](1+xtanx)]/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [1+xtanx((cos/1)*(1/cos))-((cos/1)*(1/cos))*(0-1*(-cos/sin))]/(1xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=[1+x*(sinx/cosx)*(cosx/sinx)*(-1)+1]/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=(1+(x)(1)(-1)+1)/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex]
I realize how much of a mess it is. I suspect it's something very simple that I missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Begin by manipulating your initial expression first:

[tex]\frac{\sin x\sec x}{(1+x\tan x)}=\frac{\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}}{(1+x\tan x)}=\frac{\tan x}{(1+x\tan x)}=\frac{1}{(x+\cot x)}[/tex]
This should be much easier to differentiate.

Splice1108 said:

Homework Statement

[ b] Find y[itex]^{I}[/itex] (sinxsecx)/1+xtanx The supplied answer is 1/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex][/b]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[ b]I got stuck with an extra x on top at the end. Where did I mess up at?[/b]

[ b]y[itex]^{I}[/itex](sinxsecx)/1+xtanx = [1+xtanx*f[itex]^{I}[/itex](sinxsecx)-sinxsecx*f[itex]^{I}[/itex](1+xtanx)]/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [1+xtanx((cos/1)*(1/cos))-((cos/1)*(1/cos))*(0-1*(-cos/sin))]/(1xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=[1+x*(sinx/cosx)*(cosx/sinx)*(-1)+1]/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=(1+(x)(1)(-1)+1)/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex] [/b]
I realize how much of a mess it is. I suspect it's something very simple that I missed.
Hello Splice1108. Welcome to PF !

Please don't display your posts in bold typeface.

Please DO leave the supplied text from the template in tact. -- That should remain in bold.

Parentheses (and other symbols) are important.

I assume your problem is something like:
Find y' for the following.

y = (sin(x)sec(x))/(1 + x∙tan(x))

Added in Edit:
I see that you have corrected the boldface type.

Splice1108 said:
Find y[itex]^{I}[/itex] (sinxsecx)/1+xtanx The supplied answer is 1/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex]
First off, you don't find yI or y' of something. y' already is the derivative of y. To indicate that you intend to take the derivative, but haven't done so yet, use the d/dx operator, as in this example:
d/dx(x2) = 2x.
Splice1108 said:
I got stuck with an extra x on top at the end. Where did I mess up at?

y[itex]^{I}[/itex](sinxsecx)/1+xtanx = [1+xtanx*f[itex]^{I}[/itex](sinxsecx)-sinxsecx*f[itex]^{I}[/itex](1+xtanx)]/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [1+xtanx((cos/1)*(1/cos))-((cos/1)*(1/cos))*(0-1*(-cos/sin))]/(1xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=[1+x*(sinx/cosx)*(cosx/sinx)*(-1)+1]/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=(1+(x)(1)(-1)+1)/(1+xtanx)[itex]^{2}[/itex]
And it's very difficult to read.

This is what you want to find:
$$ \frac{d}{dx} \frac{sin(x) sec(x)}{1 + x tan(x)}$$

The first thing to do, since this is a quotient, is to use the quotient rule, so
$$ \frac{d}{dx} \frac{sin(x) sec(x)}{1 + x tan(x)} = \frac{(1 + xtan(x))d/dx(sin(x) * sec(x)) - sin(x) * sec(x) * d/dx(1 + x tan(x))}{(1 + x tan(x))^2}$$

Keep working at it a little at a time.

Have you guys tried taking the derivative of the final relationship I manipulated the initial function into in post #2? All the messy math is removed when you start out with this relationship. It only took me a minute or two to get the final answer. Try it an see.

I'm going to try to retype my attempted work in a more readable manner.

I used the quotient rule to get:
[itex]\frac{(1+xtanx)\frac{d}{dx}(sinxsecx)-(sinxsecx)\ast\frac{d}{dx}(1+xtanx)}{(1+xtanx)}[/itex]

Then went on trying to cancel out the top since the denominator was already the value i was trying to achieve.
[itex]\frac{(1+xtanx)(-cosx\ast secx\ast tanx)-(sinxsecx)\frac{d}{dx}(1+xtanx)}{(1+xtanx)^{2}}[/itex]

I'm unsure how to go about differentiating the (1+xtanx) Is it just (sec[itex]^{2}[/itex]x)?

I'm stumped as far as where the next step should be.

Also, I appreciate the assistance with getting started on here.

Splice1108 said:
I'm going to try to retype my attempted work in a more readable manner.

I used the quotient rule to get:
[itex]\frac{(1+xtanx)\frac{d}{dx}(sinxsecx)-(sinxsecx)\ast\frac{d}{dx}(1+xtanx)}{(1+xtanx)}[/itex]

Then went on trying to cancel out the top since the denominator was already the value i was trying to achieve.
[itex]\frac{(1+xtanx)(-cosx\ast secx\ast tanx)-(sinxsecx)\frac{d}{dx}(1+xtanx)}{(1+xtanx)^{2}}[/itex]

I'm unsure how to go about differentiating the (1+xtanx) Is it just (sec[itex]^{2}[/itex]x)?

I'm stumped as far as where the next step should be.

Also, I appreciate the assistance with getting started on here.

No, the derivative of (1+x*tan(x)) isn't sec(x)^2. You need to start using the product rule. Same issue for the first derivative. That is a big step up in readability though!

Last edited:

FAQ: Help with derivative of trigonometric functions

1. What is the derivative of sine function?

The derivative of sine function is cosine function. This means that the slope of the sine curve at any point is equal to the value of the cosine function at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a cosine function?

To find the derivative of a cosine function, you can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is n*x^(n-1). So for cosine function, the derivative is -sinx.

3. What is the derivative of tangent function?

The derivative of tangent function is equal to sec^2x, where secx is the reciprocal of cosine function. This can also be written as 1/cos^2x.

4. How do you find the derivative of cotangent function?

The derivative of cotangent function is equal to -csc^2x, where cscx is the reciprocal of sine function. This can also be written as -1/sin^2x.

5. Can you provide an example of finding the derivative of a trigonometric function?

Sure, let's find the derivative of y = cos(3x). Using the power rule, we get y' = -3sin(3x). So the derivative of cos(3x) is -3sin(3x).