Help with determining brightness of light bulbs in a circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses ranking the brightness of bulbs, using V=IR and Kirchoff's Laws to determine the current in each branch, and the use of thin wires in heating circuits. The conversation ends with a suggestion to try using Kirchoff's Laws to find the current in each branch and a question about why thin wires are not advisable in heating circuits.
brom123

Homework Statement

Rank in order of brightness, from brightest to dimmest.

Homework Equations

V=IR, Kirchoff's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed the bulbs are supposed to be considered just as resistors, and that the more current through the resistor, the brighter the bulb. All bulbs (resistors) are of equal resistance, and I plugged in random values or 2 ohms for each resistor and 10V for the battery. I came up with 1.23 ohms for an equivalent resistance, so 8.125A for the current coming out of the battery. I am now stuck in determining how much current takes which path. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• knight_Figure_31_44.jpg
    knight_Figure_31_44.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brom123! Welcome to PF!

have you used Kirchoff's laws to find the current in each branch? try it!

why is it not advisable to use a thin wire in the heating circuit?

Related to Help with determining brightness of light bulbs in a circuit

1. How do I determine the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit?

The brightness of a light bulb in a circuit can be determined by measuring its luminous flux, which is the total amount of visible light emitted by the bulb. This can be measured using a light meter or lux meter.

2. What factors affect the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit?

The brightness of a light bulb in a circuit can be affected by the wattage of the bulb, the voltage of the circuit, and the type and condition of the bulb. Other factors such as the distance between the bulb and the object being illuminated can also impact its brightness.

3. Can I use a multimeter to measure the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit?

No, a multimeter is not a suitable tool for measuring the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit. Multimeters are designed to measure electrical properties such as voltage, current, and resistance, but not luminous flux.

4. How can I compare the brightness of different light bulbs in a circuit?

The best way to compare the brightness of different light bulbs in a circuit is to measure their luminous flux using a light meter or lux meter. This will give you an objective measurement of the amount of visible light emitted by each bulb.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when determining the brightness of light bulbs in a circuit?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety precautions when working with electricity. Make sure to turn off the power to the circuit before measuring the brightness of a light bulb, and use appropriate protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses. If you are unsure or uncomfortable working with electricity, it is best to seek the help of a professional.