Help with dividing an exponent

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponent
In summary, the exponent rules state that when dividing with the same base, you subtract the exponent in the denominator from the exponent in the numerator. Therefore, 5x^2/10x^-5 is equal to 1/2x^7. The given answer of .5/x^5 is incorrect. It is important to use grouping symbols when solving equations involving exponents to avoid confusion or incorrect answers.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
MDS1005's question from Math Help Forum,
I'll keep this short. My understanding is dividing an exponent works as follows:

x^2/x^-5=x^7

The exponent rules state that you subtract the exponent in the denominator from the exponent in the numerator if they have the same base. 2 - (-5) = 7

Now, my question. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the answer I am looking at is wrong. I need to know which.

5x^2/10x^-5

My answer: 1/2x^7
Answer I was given: .5/x^5

The same source which provided this answer confirms my first idea of x^2/x^-5 = x^7. What changes when 5/10 is added onto the whole deal?

Hi MDS1005,

I hope you meant, that your answer is, \(\dfrac{1}{2}x^7\). If that is the case, your answer is correct and the given answer is wrong.\[\frac{5x^{2}}{10x^{-5}}=\frac{1}{2}x^{2-(-5)}=\frac{1}{2}x^7\]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks. I knew that I was correct. I actually lost a half hour of sleep last night trying to figure out how the answer I was given could possibly be correct (Wondering). And now, thanks to your recommendation I now have a new forum to ask me questions in. Thanks for that Sudharaka. I'm sure I'll have many many more questions to come, seeing as I just registered for school as a physics major and still have questions like this. Physics is going to be quite an undertaking after 10 years of not doing any math in a formal setting.

MDS1005,

you must use grouping symbols because of the Order of Operations.So, then you would have:

5x^2/(10x^-5)Better:

(5x^2)/(10x^-5)
Or, as:

[tex]5x^2/(10x^{-2})[/tex]
Or, better:

[tex](5x^2)/(10x^{-2})[/tex]

Related to Help with dividing an exponent

1. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a number written in a superscript form that indicates how many times a base number should be multiplied by itself.

2. How do I divide an exponent by another exponent?

To divide two exponents with the same base, you can subtract the exponents. For example, if you have 3^4 / 3^2, you can subtract 2 from 4 to get 3^2 as the answer.

3. Can I divide an exponent by a number?

Yes, you can divide an exponent by a number. For example, if you have 2^3 / 4, you can rewrite it as (2^3 / 2^2) and then follow the rule for dividing exponents with the same base.

4. How do I handle negative exponents when dividing?

When dividing with negative exponents, you can rewrite the exponent as a positive exponent by moving it to the other side of the fraction. For example, 3^-2 can be rewritten as 1 / 3^2. Then you can follow the rule for dividing exponents with the same base.

5. Can I use the same rules for dividing exponents with different bases?

No, the rules for dividing exponents only apply when the bases are the same. If the bases are different, you can use the rule for dividing powers with different bases, which is to rewrite them as a fraction and simplify if possible.