Help with Electric Circuits Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to electricity. The first problem involves using Kirchoff's first law to find the current through different resistors and calculating the emf for each one. The second problem involves building a circuit with a battery and using a voltmeter to measure the voltage. The conversation also discusses the importance of having a high resistance for a voltmeter.
ashwinkandel
I have two problems of electricity:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2a6rnzs.jpg"

i.Use Kirchoff's first law to find the current through the 4.00 ohm and 8.00 ohm resistors
ii. Calculate the emf E1
iii. Calculat the emf E2
iv. Calculate the current through the 12.00 ohm resistor

A student builds the circuit in the diagram, using a battery of negligible internal resistance. The reading on the voltmeter is 9.0V.

http://i55.tinypic.com/ic5vgi.jpg"

i.The voltmeter has a resistance of 1200 ohm. calculate the emf of the battery.
ii. The student now repeats the experiment using a voltmeter of resistance 12 Kiloohm. Show that the reading on this voltmeter would be 9.5V
iii. Refer to your answers in i. and ii. and explain why a voltmeter should have as high a resistance as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
It could really have been useful for you to show some of your attempts first, just to get a hint at where you stand, and where you're experiencing difficulty.
The first query you have there, is one of the fundamental formulaies of Kichoff's rules, which states that: The sum of all currents meeting in a closed loop(signed, naturally) is always equal to zero.
In other words,
[itex]
\large
\displaystyle
\sum_{n=1}^{N} I_n = 0
[/itex]
For any point of intersection; Try marking, around the first cycle there, the currents as I1(known and given), (I2, also presented), and the sought I3, and simply compute arithmetically.
Likewise the same applies to the Voltages and EMFs...
Give it a shot, and let us know how it works out,
Daniel

Last edited:

Related to Help with Electric Circuits Problem

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path through which electric current can flow. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery, wires to conduct the current, and components such as resistors, capacitors, and switches.

2. How do I solve a problem with electric circuits?

The first step in solving an electric circuit problem is to carefully analyze and understand the given circuit. Then, apply the relevant laws and principles, such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws, to determine the unknown quantities. Finally, use algebraic equations and calculations to solve for the unknown values.

3. What are the common components of an electric circuit?

Some common components of an electric circuit include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, and switches. These components can be connected in series or parallel to create different types of circuits with varying functions.

4. How do I calculate voltage, current, and resistance in an electric circuit?

Voltage, current, and resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). Therefore, V = IR. Additionally, Kirchhoff's Laws can be used to solve for these values in more complex circuits.

5. What are some common problems encountered in electric circuits?

Some common problems that may arise in electric circuits include short circuits, open circuits, and faulty components. These issues can be identified by using troubleshooting techniques such as using a multimeter to measure voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit.