Help with F=mv^2/r | Calculate Centrifugal Force

• Thread starter phynewbie
  • Start date
In summary: To convert to meters/second, we need to divide by 60 to get the number of meters traveled in one second.v = (400\pi m/min) / (60 s/min) = 20\pi m/sNow plug this value into the formula for centrifugal force:F = mv^2/r = (0.1 kg) *
phynewbie
Hello!

I have a problem with centrifugal force calculus. An arm of 20 cm long with a 100 gr weight at the end is spining with 1000 rpm.

F = mv^2/r
F = 100 x 1,000^2 / 20 = 100 x 1,000,000 / 20 = 100,000,000 / 20 = 5,000,000 Kgf?

Physics news on Phys.org

phynewbie said:
Hello!

I have a problem with centrifugal force calculus. An arm of 20 cm long with a 100 gr weight at the end is spining with 1000 rpm.

F = mv^2/r
F = 100 x 1,000^2 / 20 = 100 x 1,000,000 / 20 = 100,000,000 / 20 = 5,000,000 Kgf?

Welcome to PF,

You need to be careful with your quantities here. It is generally best to use S.I. units (i.e. meters, kilograms, seconds etc.) for such problems. You should also note that 1000 rpm is a frequency as opposed to a speed (which is what v is in you're equation).

To use that formula, you need to figure out the speed (v) of the weight. 1000 rpm (revolutions per minute) is not the speed. Hint: What's the circumference of the path, which equals one revolution?

I see, cm to meters, rpm to radians/second? now i think i am closer

m = 100 gr = 0.1 Kg
1000 RPM = 104.72 radian/second
r= 20 cm = 0.2 m

F= 0.1x104.72/0.2=0.1x10,966.2784/0.2=1,096.62784/0.2=5,483.1392 Kgf or Newton?

Am i correct now?

You correctly found the angular speed ([itex]\omega[/itex], measured in radians/sec), but you still haven't found the tangential speed (v, measured in m/s).

now I am lost, how do i convert radians/sex to m/s?

From the hint in post #3.

What distance does the weight travel during 1 revolution?
How long does it take the weight to travel through 1 revolution?

v = distance / time

FAQ: Help with F=mv^2/r | Calculate Centrifugal Force

1. What is the formula for calculating centrifugal force?

The formula for calculating centrifugal force is F=mv^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

2. How is centrifugal force different from centripetal force?

Centrifugal force is the outward force experienced by an object in circular motion, while centripetal force is the inward force that keeps the object moving in a circular path. Centripetal force is responsible for changing the direction of motion, while centrifugal force is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path.

3. Can you provide an example of centrifugal force in everyday life?

One example of centrifugal force in everyday life is the feeling of being pushed outwards when riding a merry-go-round. As the ride spins faster, the centrifugal force increases, causing the riders to feel as though they are being pushed away from the center of the ride.

4. How does changing the velocity or radius affect the centrifugal force?

As per the formula F=mv^2/r, increasing the velocity of the object will increase the centrifugal force, while increasing the radius will decrease the centrifugal force. This means that the faster an object is moving or the tighter the circular path, the greater the centrifugal force will be.

5. What is the significance of calculating centrifugal force?

Calculating centrifugal force is important in understanding the dynamics of circular motion and the forces acting on objects in such motion. It is also relevant in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics, where circular motion plays a significant role.

Back