Help with finding mass flow rate

In summary, we can use the Bernoulli's equation, continuity equation, and power equation to determine the mass flow rate delivered by the pump, which is 0.004 kg/s.
Colts
1. Homework Statement
A pump steadily delivers water through a hose terminated
by a nozzle. The exit of the nozzle has a diameter of 0.6 cm
and is located 10 m above the pump inlet pipe, which has a
diameter of 1.2 cm. The pressure is equal to 1 bar at both the
inlet and the exit, and the temperature is constant at 20° C. The
magnitude of the power input required by the pump is 1.5 kW,
and the acceleration of gravity is g = 9.81 m/s^2. Determine
the mass flow rate delivered by the pump, in kg/s.2. Homework Equations
Not sure. I think
m_dot (deltaPE) = W

I don't know if I can use the work by the pump though.
m_dot = rho*Volumetric flow rate

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Well these are the only equations I can think of and I'm not sure if these are right. Any help where to go form here would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical principles involved. In this case, we are dealing with fluid flow and the relationship between pressure, velocity, and mass flow rate.

The Bernoulli's equation is a useful equation to use in this situation. It states that the sum of the pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy per unit volume of a fluid is constant along a streamline.

In this case, we can assume that the water is incompressible, so we can neglect any changes in the kinetic energy and use the equation in its simplified form:

P1 + 1/2ρv1^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + 1/2ρv2^2 + ρgh2

Where P is pressure, ρ is density, v is velocity, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is height.

We can rearrange this equation to solve for the velocity at the pump inlet (v1) and the nozzle exit (v2):

v1 = √(2(P2-P1)/ρ + 2gh1)
v2 = √(2(P2-P1)/ρ + 2gh2)

Since we are given the pressure and height at both the inlet and exit, we can plug in the values and solve for v1 and v2.

Next, we can use the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate (m_dot) is equal to the density (ρ) times the volumetric flow rate (Q):

m_dot = ρQ

The volumetric flow rate can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area (A) of the pipe by the velocity (v):

Q = Av

We know the cross-sectional areas of both the inlet and exit pipes, as well as the velocities calculated from the Bernoulli's equation. Therefore, we can calculate the volumetric flow rate and then use it to solve for the mass flow rate.

Finally, we can use the equation for power (P) to determine the mass flow rate:

P = m_dot * g * h

Where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height difference between the inlet and exit. We know the power input (1.5 kW) and the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2), so we can solve for the mass flow rate.

I hope this helps guide you in finding the solution to this problem.

Related to Help with finding mass flow rate

1. What is mass flow rate?

Mass flow rate is the measurement of the amount of mass that passes through a given area per unit time.

2. How is mass flow rate calculated?

Mass flow rate is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by the time it takes to pass through a given area.

3. What are some common units for mass flow rate?

Some common units for mass flow rate include kilograms per second, grams per minute, and pounds per hour.

4. What factors affect mass flow rate?

The density of the substance, the velocity of the substance, and the area of the opening through which the substance passes are all factors that can affect mass flow rate.

5. How is mass flow rate used in various industries?

Mass flow rate is used in industries such as manufacturing, chemistry, and engineering to monitor and control the flow of substances such as liquids, gases, and powders.