Help with finding the power in this circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a given circuit is valid and how to find the total power developed in the circuit. The user attempted to use KCL and KVL in various loops but encountered confusion with the middle node and lower loops. Ultimately, the conclusion is drawn that the circuit is invalid based on the potential changes around the outer loop.
edgarpokemon

Homework Statement

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/interconnection-fig-p25-valid-find-total-power-developed-circuit-interconnection-valid-exp-q22345911
upload_2018-2-6_21-57-37.png

It asks if the circuit is valid, which I assume it is.
It asks for the power developed[/B]

Homework Equations

I tried to do KCL in the 4 loops, but i am confused with the middle node. I assume that the 10v will have a current of 1, for the middle node to equal 0. I did a KCL in the upper left loop and got -13 and on the upper right loop I got -17. I am not sure what i am doing wrong to get the power developed. the lower loops confuse me. Help!
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-6_21-57-37.png
    upload_2018-2-6_21-57-37.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 949
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check KVL around the outside path.

gneill said:
Check KVL around the outside path.

but there is no resistances, and V=iR? The voltage outside the path do not equate to 0, so is the circuit invalid?

edgarpokemon said:
but there is no resistances, and V=iR? The voltage outside the path do not equate to 0, so is the circuit invalid?
Sum the potential changes around the closed loop and draw your own conclusion :wink:

Edit: I should have been more clear. Sum the potential changes around the outer loop.

Last edited:
gneill said:
Sum the potential changes around the closed loop and draw your own conclusion :wink:
aaa so starting from the lower right node, it would be 8+6-4-12=-2, so invalid?

edgarpokemon said:
aaa so starting from the lower right node, it would be 8+6-4-12=-2, so invalid?
Right.

Related to Help with finding the power in this circuit

1. What is power in a circuit?

Power in a circuit is the rate at which energy is transferred or used. It is measured in watts (W) and calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I).

2. How do I find the power in a circuit?

To find the power in a circuit, you will need to know the voltage and current. Once you have these values, simply multiply them together to get the power in watts.

3. What is the formula for calculating power in a circuit?

The formula for calculating power in a circuit is P=VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes.

4. Why is it important to know the power in a circuit?

Knowing the power in a circuit is important because it allows you to understand the amount of energy being transferred or used. It can also help you determine the appropriate circuit components and ensure the circuit is functioning correctly.

5. Are there any units of measurement for power other than watts?

Yes, there are other units of measurement for power, such as horsepower (hp) and kilowatt-hour (kWh). However, watts are the most commonly used unit for power in a circuit.