Help with Flywheel design

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a flywheel for a system that produces electricity from gravitational force. The flywheel is needed to maintain uniform rotation and avoid fluctuation. The system involves a pendulum that will drop from a 60 degree angle and oscillate back and forth. The angular velocity of the pendulum is known and is used to calculate the necessary speed of the flywheel, which is 25 rpm. However, there are concerns about the feasibility of the system and the topic of perpetual motion is not allowed for discussion. The individual is seeking ideas and thoughts to further their work.
ursvijayv
I am designing a flywheel for my own system. I don't know what are the input I should consider to design my flywheel and need to find what is mass & speed of flywheel should I use for my system to avoid fluctuation and uniform motion.

I have attached the system picture and I have mention the flywheel.

my system is to produce the electricity from the gravitational force.if you look at the picture u will understand the concept. The pendulum will drop from the 60 deg angle,the pendulum will oscillate to and fro, using some mechanism converting the oscillating motion to unidirectional motion and next I need to use flywheel to maintain the uniform rotation and avoid fluctuation. I know the angular velocity of the pendulum from the calculation for my system which is max at angle 0 deg and I use this angular velocity to find what speed I should consider for my system. which I got is 25 rpm. I don't know how to calculate the energy and How to interpret with any real world application.

I would appreciate if anyone give your valuable idea or thought to move on my work further.

Attachments

• fly.png
    fly.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 484
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, you know the pendulum won't keep swinging in this setup right? Not unless you have something besides gravity to drive it.

Discussion of perpetual motion schemes is not permitted on PF. (Please consult our rules, which are linked at the top of every page, for more details.)

Related to Help with Flywheel design

1. What is a flywheel and how does it work?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy and works as a rotational inertia. It consists of a heavy disk or wheel that rotates on an axis, and its purpose is to maintain a constant speed or provide smooth energy transfer in a machine. When a force is applied to the flywheel, it stores energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy, and when the force is removed, it releases the energy to power the machine.

2. Why is the design of a flywheel important?

The design of a flywheel is crucial because it affects the performance and efficiency of the machine it is used in. A well-designed flywheel can provide smooth energy transfer, reduce vibrations, and maintain a constant speed, while a poorly designed one can cause energy loss and affect the overall functioning of the machine.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a flywheel?

When designing a flywheel, several factors must be taken into consideration, including the intended use of the machine, the weight and size limitations, the desired speed and energy storage capacity, and the material and shape of the flywheel. It is also essential to consider the balance and stability of the flywheel to prevent vibrations and ensure safe operation.

4. How can the weight of a flywheel be optimized?

The weight of a flywheel can be optimized by choosing the right material and shape for the specific application. Materials with high density like steel or tungsten are often used for their ability to store more energy in a smaller size. The shape of the flywheel can also be optimized to distribute the weight evenly and reduce stress and vibrations.

5. Are there any safety considerations when designing a flywheel?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when designing a flywheel. The flywheel must be securely attached to its axis and have a protective enclosure to prevent accidents. It is also essential to consider the maximum speed and energy storage capacity to prevent overloading and potential hazards. Regular maintenance and inspection of the flywheel are also crucial to ensure safe operation.