Help with force question? i dont know how to get the right answer?

• Thread starter snash1057
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, two lifeguards pulling on ropes attached to a raft can create a net external force of 304 N to the right if they pull in the same direction, and a net external force of 115 N to the left if they pull in opposite directions. By setting up equations F1 + F2 = 304 and F1 - F2 = 115, we can find the force exerted by each lifeguard on the raft.
snash1057
Two lifeguards pull on ropes attached to a raft. If they pull in the same direction, the raft experiences a net external force of 304 N to the right. If they pull in opposite directions, the raft experiences a net external force of 115 N to the left.

Find the force exerted by each lifeguard on the raft. (Disregard any other forces acting on the raft.)
____N( larger force)
____N( smaller force)

ive set it up at F1 + F2 = 304 and F1 - F2 = -115 , but i don't know what to do with that, how am i supposed to find the forces? i feel like I am just forgetting a simple math tool haha

Physics news on Phys.org
snash1057 said:
ive set it up at F1 + F2 = 304 and F1 - F2 = -115 , but i don't know what to do with that, how am i supposed to find the forces? i feel like I am just forgetting a simple math tool haha

So let's call

F1+F2=304 ...eq'n 1

F1-F2=115...eq'2

What happens if we add eq'n 1 to eq'n 2 :wink:?

FAQ: Help with force question? i dont know how to get the right answer?

What is force?

Force is an interaction between two objects that causes a change in motion or acceleration of the objects.

What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

How do I calculate force?

Force can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of force?

Some examples of force in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, throwing a ball, and riding a bike.

How can I find the right answer for a force question?

The best way to find the right answer for a force question is to first understand the concepts and principles behind force. Then, apply those concepts to the given question and use the appropriate formulas and equations to solve for the answer.

Back