Help with graph units and interpretation

In summary, the conversation is about research on a biological substance and its capacitance and conductivity. The graphs from a computer connected to a BDS are being discussed, but the fundamental units Re(C'), Re(C''), Re(σ'), and lm(σ'') are confusing. The person is questioning how capacitance can be negative in one of the graphs and why there is no difference in units between the two axes. They also mention looking through texts for help, but suspect there may be a labelling error in the graph creation.
thebluser
Hello,

I have been doing research with a certain biological substance and its capacitance and conductivity. The following graphs are from a computer connected to a BDS (broadband dielectric spectrometer):
cpacitance 1.PNG

conuctivity 1.PNG

I understand the fundamental units, but Re(C'), Re(C''), Re(σ'), lm(σ'') do not make sense to me. How can capacitance be negative in one of the graphs? Why is there no difference between both axis in terms of fundamental units? Is it possible that the units are wrong? I have been looking at all the texts I have, but none of them are able to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a labelling error in the graph creation. Notice that the two Y axes are the same units.

Related to Help with graph units and interpretation

1. What are graph units and why are they important?

Graph units are the labels that represent the numerical values on a graph. They are important because they provide a standard measurement for the data being represented, making it easier to interpret and compare the data.

2. How do I determine the appropriate units for my graph?

The appropriate units for a graph depend on the type of data being represented. For example, if the data is measuring distance, the units could be kilometers or miles. It is important to choose units that make sense for the data and are easily understandable for the audience.

3. What is the difference between categorical and numerical units on a graph?

Categorical units, also known as qualitative units, represent data that falls into distinct categories or groups. Numerical units, also known as quantitative units, represent data that can be measured on a numerical scale. Categorical units are usually represented by labels or names, while numerical units are represented by numbers.

4. How do I interpret the units on a graph?

To interpret the units on a graph, you first need to understand what the graph is representing. Look at the labels on the x and y axes, as well as any legends or titles, to determine the units being used. Then, pay attention to the scale of the graph and how the data is being represented in relation to those units.

5. Can I change the units on a graph?

Yes, you can change the units on a graph, but it is important to do so carefully and thoughtfully. Changing the units can alter the interpretation of the data, so it is important to make sure the new units accurately reflect the data being presented and are easily understandable for the audience.