Help with Heaviside unit functions

In summary, the solution to converting a piecewise heaviside function into a single function is to use the heaviside function (u(t)) and subtract/add the different functions based on the intervals where they are defined. This method is useful for solving Laplace or Fourier related integrals and modeling discontinuous behavior.
phillyj
Hi, I'm not really understanding how to convert the piecewise heaviside into a single function. This was on our quiz and the professor didn't really explain how he got the answer.

I can't get the tex to work so:
f(t)=
{ 0, 0 <= t < 1
{ (t-1) 1 <= 2
{ 1, t >= 2

The answer is (t-1)u1(t)-(t-2)u2(t)

I understand the first part of the statement but I have trouble with the second part.

I tried to work it out and i got (t-1)u1(t) + u2(t) - (1-t-1)u2(t) but its not right

Physics news on Phys.org
If t<0, H=0, t>0, H=1... that is all about you need to know, keep in mind the limits of integration in respect to t, and you can easily apply this rule to solving laplace or Fourier related integrals. They are used to model discontinous behavior...

best

phillyj said:
Hi, I'm not really understanding how to convert the piecewise heaviside into a single function. This was on our quiz and the professor didn't really explain how he got the answer.

I can't get the tex to work so:
f(t)=
{ 0, 0 <= t < 1
{ (t-1) 1 <= 2
{ 1, t >= 2

The answer is (t-1)u1(t)-(t-2)u2(t)

I understand the first part of the statement but I have trouble with the second part.

I tried to work it out and i got (t-1)u1(t) + u2(t) - (1-t-1)u2(t) but its not right

An easy way to do these types of problems is like this. Say you want f(t) on (0,a), g(t) on (a,b), h(t) on (b,c) and 0 elsewhere.

Start with u(t)f(t) giving f(t) for t > 0
At t = a you want to get rid of f and get g so add this: u(t-a)(g(t)-f(t))
At t = b you want to lose the g and get h so add u(t-b)(h(t)-g(t))
At t = c you want to lose the h so add -u(t-c)h(t).

The result:

u(t)f(t) + u(t-a)(g(t)-f(t)) + u(t-b)(h(t)-g(t)) -u(t-c)h(t).

Depending on what you plan to do next you might want it like that or group it on the functions:

f(t)(u(t)-u(t-a)) + g(t)(u(t-a)-u(t-b)) + h(t)(u(t-b)-u(t-c))

Expressions like u(t-a)-u(t-b) are sometimes called filter functions because they pick up your function on (a,b) and zero elsewhere. You can use that to write the function in this last form directly from your piecewise definition.

Related to Help with Heaviside unit functions

What is a Heaviside unit function?

A Heaviside unit function, also known as the unit step function, is a mathematical function that is defined as 0 for negative input values and 1 for positive input values. It is commonly denoted as H(x) or u(x).

What is the purpose of a Heaviside unit function?

A Heaviside unit function is often used in mathematics and engineering to represent a sudden change or discontinuity in a function. It is also commonly used to define piecewise functions and is an important tool in solving differential equations.

How is a Heaviside unit function graphed?

A Heaviside unit function is graphed as a vertical line at x=0 with a value of 0 for negative x values and a value of 1 for positive x values. It is essentially a step function with a jump at x=0.

What is the derivative of a Heaviside unit function?

The derivative of a Heaviside unit function is known as the Dirac delta function, which is defined as 0 for all values of x except at x=0 where it is undefined. It is often used in physics and engineering to represent an impulse or an instantaneous change in a system.

How is a Heaviside unit function used in real-world applications?

Heaviside unit functions are commonly used in engineering to represent sudden changes in voltage, current, or other physical quantities. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and circuit analysis. In physics, they are used to model phenomena such as shock waves and collisions.