Help with intensity formula for n slits interference

In summary: Then use the following equation: E(t) = E_0 \left[ \cos(\omega*t) + \cos(\omega*t +\phi) + ... + \cos(\omega*t + (n-1) \phi\right] = E_0 \left[\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \cos(\omega*t + k\phi) \right]
helloeveryone

Homework Statement

somebody help me, i have a homework question: obtaining the formula of calculating the intensity of n slits interfenrece.

Homework Equations

the only source is the formula to calculate the intensity of double split interference: I/Io = (E/Eo)^2, and I = 4Io(cos(pie d... (equation 41-7 physics textbook of 5th edition by halliday, and resnick and Krane)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything in my power but it hopeless, i couldn't see the connection between n slits and 2 slits, help me out, thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
For n slits,

[tex] E(t) = E_0 \left[ \cos\omega t + \cos(\omega t +\phi) + ... + \cos\{\omega t + (n-1) \phi\}\right] = E_0 \left[\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \cos(\omega t + k\phi) \right][/tex]

where [tex] \phi = \frac {2 \pi d \sin \theta}{\lambda}[/tex]

Note that

[tex] \displaystyle{\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \cos(\omega t + k\phi) = \Re\left[ \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} e^{i(\omega t + k\phi)}\right] = \Re\left[ e^{i\omega t}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} e^{i k\phi}\right] = \Re\left[e^{i\omega t} \frac{1-e^{in\phi}}{1-e^{i\phi}}\right] = \Re\left[e^{i(\omega t + \frac{n-1}{2} \phi)} \frac{e^{i\frac{n}{2}\phi}-e^{-i\frac{n}{2}\phi}}{e^{i\frac{1}{2}\phi}-e^{-i\frac{1}{2}\phi}}\right]} [/tex]

[tex] = \displaystyle{\Re \left[e^{i(\omega t + \frac{n-1}{2} \phi)} \frac{\frac{e^{i\frac{n}{2}\phi}-e^{-i\frac{n}{2}\phi}}{2i}}{\frac{e^{i\frac{1}{2}\phi}-e^{-i\frac{1}{2}\phi}}{2i}} \right] = \Re \left[e^{i(\omega t + \frac{n-1}{2} \phi)} \frac{\sin \frac{n}{2}\phi}{\sin \frac{1}{2}\phi}\right] = \frac{\sin \frac{n}{2}\phi}{\sin \frac{1}{2}\phi} \cos \left(\omega t + \frac{n-1}{2} \phi\right)}[/tex]

I guess you can work out the rest using the above equation?

Last edited:
thanx you so much for helpin me out. if you help me, you mind to help me a bit more: could you tell me how you obtain the formula above (you don't have to write everything in detail, just give me the source that you get the formula, or just give any formula that involve that formula above (is it the formula in the textbook?). And one last thing, what is R value in the note.

oh, nvm, i got it, that was the equation 41-6 in the textbook for n slits.
If i am not mistake, the rest thing i have to do is use equation I(t)/Io = (E(t)/Eo)^2 to find out I(t)
man, your'e genius, lifesaver, i love u man

You flatter me.

R just means the real part of a complex number, and e^ix = cos(x) + i*sin(x) was used in the above equation.

For the answer, I think you need to drop out the cos(omega*t + phase) part to get the amplitude(rather than the full time dependence of the electric field).

Related to Help with intensity formula for n slits interference

1. How do I calculate the intensity of light for n slits interference?

The intensity formula for n slits interference is given by I = I0cos2(θ)/(1+(1/n)sin2(Nθ)), where I0 is the intensity of the incident light, θ is the angle of diffraction, and N is the number of slits.

2. What is the relationship between the number of slits and the intensity of light in n slits interference?

The intensity of light in n slits interference is inversely proportional to the number of slits. This means that as the number of slits increases, the intensity of light decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can the intensity formula for n slits interference be used for any type of wave?

Yes, the intensity formula for n slits interference can be used for any type of wave, including light, sound, or water waves. However, the formula may differ slightly depending on the characteristics of the wave.

4. How does the angle of diffraction affect the intensity of light in n slits interference?

The angle of diffraction plays a crucial role in determining the intensity of light in n slits interference. As the angle of diffraction increases, the intensity of light decreases, and vice versa. This is because the angle of diffraction affects the path length difference between the waves, which in turn affects the interference pattern.

5. Can the intensity of light be negative in n slits interference?

No, the intensity of light cannot be negative in n slits interference. The intensity of light is always a positive quantity, and any negative values in the formula should be considered as zero. Negative values may arise due to the use of approximations in the formula, but they do not have any physical significance.