Help With Inverse of 3-d Matrix Rotations Qs b,c,d

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the matrix A(theta) which represents a rotation in the xy-plane. The conversation includes questions about evaluating the determinant, interpreting the geometric effect on a vector, showing the result of multiplying two matrices, and finding the inverse of A(theta). The key to understanding is recognizing that the matrix represents a rotation and understanding its effect on unit vectors.
Benny
I'm having trouble with the following question - parts b, c and d. Can someone please help me out?

Q. 3-d rotations - Consider the matrix:

[tex]
A\left( \theta \right) = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{\cos \theta } & { - \sin \theta } & 0 \\
{\sin \theta } & {\cos \theta } & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
\end{array}} \right]
[/tex]

a) Evaluate det(A(theta)).
b) Interpret geometrically the effect of multiplying a vector by A(theta).
c) Show that [tex]A\left( \theta \right)A\left( \phi \right) = A\left( {\theta + \phi } \right)[/tex] and interpret this result.
d) Use the previous part to find the inverse of A(theta). How does this compare with the transpose A(theta)^T - the transpose of A(theta).

The answer to part 'a' is 1 which wasn't all that difficult to get. I'm not sure about part b. Ignoring the 3 row and 3rd column I have a 2 by 2 matrix which represents a rotation through an angle of theta in the anti-clockwise direction (in the x-y plane) but I'm not sure how to ineterpret the given 3 by 3 matrix.

I could show the result of part 'c' but again, I don't know how to interpret the result. I think that it might just be the application of A(phi) followed by A(theta).

I have no idea as to how to part 'd.'

Any help would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You already identified it as a rotation if you consider the xy-plane. So you know what it does to the unit vectors x and y. What does the transformation do to the unit z vector?
If you know the interpretation, the rest is easy.

If multiplying a vector by a matrix causes a movement (as rotation), then the inverse matrix causes the opposite movement.

FAQ: Help With Inverse of 3-d Matrix Rotations Qs b,c,d

1. What is the inverse of a 3-d matrix rotation?

The inverse of a 3-d matrix rotation is the matrix that undoes the original rotation and returns the object to its original position and orientation.

2. How do I find the inverse of a 3-d matrix rotation?

To find the inverse of a 3-d matrix rotation, you can use the inverse matrix formula or use a computer program to calculate it for you. It is also possible to manually calculate the inverse by following a series of steps, but this can be more time-consuming and prone to errors.

3. What is the purpose of finding the inverse of a 3-d matrix rotation?

The purpose of finding the inverse of a 3-d matrix rotation is to be able to reverse the effects of the original rotation. This can be useful in various applications such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics simulations.

4. Can the inverse of a 3-d matrix rotation always be found?

Yes, the inverse of a 3-d matrix rotation can always be found as long as the original rotation is not singular, meaning it does not result in a matrix with a determinant of 0. If the original rotation is singular, it means that the inverse does not exist.

5. How is the inverse of a 3-d matrix rotation used in real-life applications?

The inverse of a 3-d matrix rotation is used in various real-life applications such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics simulations. It allows for precise control and manipulation of objects in 3-d space, and is also used in navigation and tracking systems.

Back