Help with line integrals and greens theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work using the Line Integral Method and Green's Theorem. The vector field and curve are given, and the attempt at a solution is described. The conversation ends with a reminder to follow the given advice and try the integration over the half disk.
TheSaxon
I get an answer for this problem, but its 0 and i think that's wrong. if someone could please, help that'd be great.

Homework Statement

Find the work using the Line Integral Method:
W = Integral of ( Vector F * dr)

Vector Field: F(x,y) = (xy^2)i + (3yx^2)j

C: semi circular region bounded by x-axis and y = squareroot(4-x^2) where y = squareroot(4-x^2) is greater than 0.

Homework Equations

So where vector is <P,Q>,
Work = Integral of (P dx + Q dy) over the region R.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I first parameterized the curve to get P,Q,dx,dy in terms of a common variable:
x = 2cost, y = 2sint for 0 <= t <= pi which implies dx = -2sint and dy = 2cost

but when I carry out the integration, the limits of integration end up making my answer go to 0 because they are between 0 and pi and I always end up with a sin(t) in the result of the integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
The entire benefit of using Green's Theorem is that you don't need to parameterize.

Note that what you have written there is equivalent to

[tex] \displaystyle \oint \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{x} = \iint_D \left( \frac{F_2}{dx} - \frac{F_1}{dy} \right) dx dy [/tex]

Thus you can very easily figure out [itex] \frac{F_2}{dx}, \;\; \frac{F_1}{dy} [/itex]

Furthermore, [itex] -2<x<2 [/itex] and [itex] 0<y<\sqrt{4-x^2} [/itex]

ya, sorry, i don't know how to write in those fancy symbols. Anyway was my answer of 0 correcT?

Why ask for help if you ignore the advice? Do the integration over the half disk and see if you also get 0 there.

Related to Help with line integrals and greens theorem

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in which the function being integrated is evaluated along a curve or path in a multi-dimensional space.

What is Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that relates a line integral around a simple closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve.

How do I calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you first need to parameterize the curve or path over which the integral is being evaluated. Then, you evaluate the function being integrated at each point along the curve and multiply it by the differential of the curve. Finally, you integrate this product over the entire curve.

What is the significance of Green's theorem?

Green's theorem allows us to evaluate a line integral over a closed curve by instead calculating a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. This can often be simpler and more efficient, especially for certain types of curves.

How can I apply Green's theorem in real-world situations?

Green's theorem has many applications, particularly in physics and engineering, where it is used to calculate work done by conservative forces and to determine flow rates in fluid dynamics. It can also be used in the study of electric and magnetic fields.