Help with Lorentz Transformation Notation & Matrix Entries

• Thread starter grzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the symbol for a Lorentz transformation can be represented as Λαβ or Λμν depending on whether it is shown as a matrix. In the former case, the upper index denotes the entries in the rows and the lower index denotes the entries in the columns. In the latter case, the upper index still denotes the entries in the rows, but the lower index now represents the entries in the columns. This depends on how one chooses to represent covariant and contravariant vectors and how the Lorentz transformation acts on them. Usually, a prime is added to one of the indices to indicate the frame of reference being transformed to.
grzz
The symbol for a Lorentz transformation is sometimes Λαβ and sometimes Λμν.

When Λαβ is shown by a matrix, the upper index denotes the entries in the rows and the lower index denotes the entries in the columns.

When Λμν is shown by a matrix, does the upper index still denotes the entries in the rows?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This depends on how you chose to represent the Lorentz transformation in matrix form, or more precisely, how you chose to represent covariant and contravariant vectors and how the Lorentz transformation acts on them.

Does it mean that when Λαβ acts on a contravariant vector xβ, then the upper index of Λ denotes the rows and when Λαβ acts on a covariant vector xβ, then it is the lower index which denotes the rows?

Yes, that's an accepted logic. Just remember that physicists don't put mu exactly over nu, it's always a space (it's either south-west-north-east or north west-south east, but never north south).

I'd like to also add that usually I see a prime on one of the indices to make it easier to figure out which frame to which the Lorentz transformation is transforming to.

Matterwave said:
I'd like to also add that usually I see a prime on one of the indices to make it easier to figure out which frame to which the Lorentz transformation is transforming to.

Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, 'Matterwave', I intended to put a prime on one of the indices of Λ to distinguish from which frame of reference and to which frame the Λ is transforming but I could not figure out the way to do it!

Related to Help with Lorentz Transformation Notation & Matrix Entries

1. What is Lorentz Transformation?

Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical tool used in the theory of special relativity to describe the relationship between space and time for observers in different inertial frames of reference.

2. How is Lorentz Transformation represented in notation?

Lorentz Transformation is typically represented using the Greek letter gamma (γ) and the subscript notation, such as γx, γy, γz, and γt. These symbols represent different components of the transformation matrix.

3. What are the matrix entries for Lorentz Transformation?

The matrix entries for Lorentz Transformation are a combination of the Lorentz factor (γ) and the velocity (v) of the moving reference frame. The entries are as follows:
γ, −γv/c, 0, 0
−γv/c, γ, 0, 0
0, 0, 1, 0
0, 0, 0, 1

4. How do you perform a Lorentz Transformation using matrix multiplication?

To perform a Lorentz Transformation using matrix multiplication, you need to multiply the transformation matrix with the four-vector representing the coordinates of an event in one frame of reference. The resulting four-vector will represent the coordinates of the same event in the other frame of reference.

5. What are the applications of Lorentz Transformation?

Lorentz Transformation is used in various fields of physics, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It is also used in practical applications, such as GPS technology, where it is used to correct for the effects of time dilation due to the motion of satellites.